Breeding Season

Help Support CattleToday:

We have a defined calving season. Starting approx Mar 1 and ending approx May 1. There are several reasons for this.
1 is a more even group of calves when we sell in the fall.
2 is that our winters are cold and not really suitable to calving, unless you have some darn good facilities, which we don't.
3 is the cost of feeding and bedding a suckling cow over the same cold winter.
4 is that by calving for only 2 months, we don't have to check on calving cows when we are busy haying, seeding, harvesting or whatever.

I am sure there are other good reasons, but that is what I could think of on a moments notice.

randiliana":1qkwks0x said:
We have a defined calving season. Starting approx Mar 1 and ending approx May 1. There are several reasons for this.
2 is that our winters are cold and not really suitable to calving, unless you have some darn good facilities, which we don't.
4 is that by calving for only 2 months, we don't have to check on calving cows when we are busy haying, seeding, harvesting or whatever.

I am sure there are other good reasons, but that is what I could think of on a moments notice.

We do the same for roughly the same reasons plus mid to late march is when the grass really gets to growing and the calves can start out with decent grazing.

dun":rbz3g6n2 said:
randiliana":rbz3g6n2 said:

We do the same for roughly the same reasons plus mid to late march is when the grass really gets to growing and the calves can start out with decent grazing.

Our grass doesn't come in until the end of April or first part of May. Which works for us as the cows really start to milk then anyways, and that is when the calves seem to start needing more.

I have heard it suggested that cows that have poorer udder structures tend to break down quicker when calved on lush green grass. I haven't seen it myself, but could see that happening.

If it would rain at all with just the least bit of consistancy, we could have grazing pretty much year round.

turned the bull in with the spring calving cows on July 10th. fall calving cows are going to be used as recips this year - embryos will be transferred on Dec. 9th.

i moved spring calving from mid-march to mid-april due to the constant battles with end of the season blizzards or mud...seems as though around here the ground settles up pretty good after the first week of april. try to plan fall calving in september - after the temperatures moderate a little...

ROB

This year I'm calving mid-May to the first week of June. I think that's the way I'll have it go for the next couple years unless I see a reason to change. I have the best pasture at that time and cows are bred back before the pasture starts to die off in the fall. More importantly though, I'm home from college starting mid-May and that's the soonest the cows can calve and me be there in case of problems.

milkmaid":n51yg0iz said:
This year I'm calving mid-May to the first week of June. I think that's the way I'll have it go for the next couple years unless I see a reason to change. I have the best pasture at that time and cows are bred back before the pasture starts to die off in the fall. More importantly though, I'm home from college starting mid-May and that's the soonest the cows can calve and me be there in case of problems.

Milkmaid, is that back in Indiana where your cattle are?

They're in Idaho. It's about 10 hours from where I go to college so I'm only home on summer, Christmas, and spring breaks.

Latest posts