Breeding Season Part 2

Help Support CattleToday:

TerraceRidge

Reaction score
I posted a thread a while back entitled "Breeding Season" where I asked how long to leave a bull with my two cows. Well, one cow was in heat on May 3 and the other was in heat on May 6. I have had a bull in with them since May 20, and so far, I have not seen him mount any of the cows, and I have really seen no signs of heat at all since I have had him here. Here is where my situation gets a little sticky, though: the way I knew they were in heat last time was that my bull calf, who was about 7-8 months old and about 575 lbs at the time, was mounting my cows with his penis extended. However, I had banded him on April 20, so I didn't think he would actually be able to breed my cows during that cycle. What are the chances, though, that he really did breed my two cows two weeks after being banded? I hate to keep this bull around for another month if my cows are already bred. What do you all think about this situation?

Doubtful, but I believe possible.
Your cows still have time to come in heat. Around 18-24 days. One is just at 24 days now. Also if they are standing during the night, he may be getting them then. (Usually you do see something during the day also though.) Do you mark their tail head with either the grease marker or sticker scratch offs? If you really need to know, that helps.
Was your bull tested for breeding soundness?