Breeding Season Opener...some questions...

Help Support CattleToday:

FLJoe

Reaction score
It's been some time since I have posted as 2005 was a rebuilding year for us. I switched over all but two of my hobby herd from crossbred to reg. Beefmasters. Because I had various ages, we needed to wait until some of the heifers and our bull matured. I know with this breed, the bulls take longer to mature.

Our guy just turned two, and was rewarded by joining the cows. Our breeding season goes from Feb 1 to May 1 so we have winter calving, which is preferred in FL. My question is, should I expect our bull to successfully cover our five cows barring any internal repro issues? The youngest heifer in the bunch is 22 months. The other cows are veterans.

My other questions is this. I'm considering purchasing a black dehorned purebred beefmaster heifer from a small breeder to add to my breeding program. She has a good frame and pedigree. They are asking $800. Good deal? We are aware of the black craze in the breed as well.

Finally, would this black heifer be safe to temporarily keep with our other young bull. He is 16 mos and the heifer is 8 mos. Thanks!

Joe

As long as your bull has passed a breeding soundness exam I would say he could cover 5 cows with ease. In most breeds a 2 year old could cover 24 cows/heifers ,easy.

FLJoe":1gtcn7zm said:
Finally, would this black heifer be safe to temporarily keep with our other young bull. He is 16 mos and the heifer is 8 mos. Thanks!

Joe
sure, if you want her to have a calf in 9 months.

At 8 mos. she's too young to be turned out with the bull. Just my opinion. Even at the end of your breeding season, she would only be 11 mos.

Long time no see FLJOE. welcome back. the bull should breed anything that cycles. How much does this black heifer weigh. sounds like a pretty good deal.

We used to raise registered Beefmasters. They are still my favorite breed. That sounds like a good price on the heifer. It is hard to believe how much the black beefmasters cost. We run cross bred cows now, but we just went and looked at a black beefmaster bull that was for sale for $900. I had some of my best calves out of Beefmaster cows bred to Angus bulls. Very heavy weaned calves. If we ever get Beefmaster cows again, that is what I would do again. You can't go wrong with a Beefmaster momma cow.

I ran 1, 6 year old angus bull with 80 cows last summer was a yearling with him but the old bull took care of him about 2 weeks into breeding season..

Latest posts