Breeding replacement heifers to market in Jan

Help Support CattleToday:

Craig

Reaction score
I am going to AI around 20 fancy black angus heifers in a couple weeks. If the prices get over $2400/hd for bred heifers come January, I'm going to try and sell these girls. My question is this, do you think they would be more appealing/desirable bred black angus or bred to a Hereford? If a Hereford, which one of the following:
Domino 3027 -ABS
Victor 719t -Genex
Rib eye -ABS
Sensation -Genex

To further complicate the matter, I will probably have them ultra sounded and tagged according to the sex of the calf they are carrying.

That's a pretty local question. Here in CA the smart choice would be to breed them back angus if the plan is to sell them.

The problem I have around here is that it seems most of the breds have been going west, Dakotas or Montana. Not sure what would be more appealing out that way. Or if they went south for that matter, say southern Iowa or Missouri.

last time I went to the sale bald face were selling higher than the solid black angus calves but I don't know how the market is up there

wacocowboy":3ugqfr6k said:
last time I went to the sale bald face were selling higher than the solid black angus calves but I don't know how the market is up there

Cant go wrong with the black baldies ..around here anyway.

There are always a few who like to have a cross of Simmental or Herford. If you can find a ranch who would make a contract with you to "custom breed" the heifers then you could have them sold before you breed them. Otherwise if you are planning on marketing to the largest customer base a very high quality black angus bull would help in that process.

How about a simangus? Then you have the majority of the genetics black angus, with a little bit of simmental for the people who want that.

I know someone who bought a lot of 10 bred angus heifers. When i questioned them about the heifers, they mentioned they were bred to sims..... Welp, i know why someone dumped them then. They lost every calf and almost all the heifers. It would be insane to breed angus heifers to a sim, insane. There are many LBW registered angus bulls that will almost guarantee a live calf on the ground.

TennesseeTuxedo":33v6wbbw said:
Craig":33v6wbbw said:
The problem I have around here is that it seems most of the breds have been going west, Dakotas or Montana. Not sure what would be more appealing out that way. Or if they went south for that matter, say southern Iowa or Missouri.

I still say stick with Angus.

TT :tiphat:

Latest posts