Breeding questoin

Help Support CattleToday:

JoeyH

Reaction score
I have a registered Shorthorn that ended up in my neighbors pasture with a Beefmaster bull for a few days. I did not notice her to be in heat and never saw him service her or even around her. I gave her a shot of lutalyse just in case and I ended up putting her in with a registered Angus (which was my intent, hoping for a commercial heifer to show). I had a heifer born the day after Thanksgiving and as she grows she shows no traits of a Beefmaster but is a red calf. I would have thought the Angus (black) gene would have been dominant. Is that not always true?

Thanks for the input.

Yes, black is dominent but the bull you used must have been a red carrier.

FarmGirl10":2wq27r4t said:

Yep, my experiment with black baldies this past year surprised me. Out of the brangus cows bred to the hereford bull, I got three black baldies, one wild type gene tri-color, and two red baldies (one that is colored just like a hereford).

BUT, even if the angus does throw black your still not guaranteed that it doesn't carry the red recessive gene. Two blacks mated together, both with the red recessive gene - will produce red offspring 50% of the time, and black 50% of the time.

Thanks! Like I said... there are no traits of Beefmaster but I was a little worried.

cypressfarms":32172hnl said:
FarmGirl10":32172hnl said:

BUT, even if the angus does throw black your still not guaranteed that it doesn't carry the red recessive gene. Two blacks mated together, both with the red recessive gene - will produce red offspring 50% of the time, and black 50% of the time.
Actually only 25% would be red, the rest would be black. Out of the black ones 25% would be homo black and 50% would be hetro.

If the bull is regestiered you can look back through his pedigree and see if any of his ancestors are RC (red carrier)

does the calving date corrispond with the breeding date or is it close to her night of passion?
The birth date can be 2wks +- the breeding date.

We had an ET calf come 3wks early and an AI calf come 13 days early this spring.

I think the ET calf was a little premature, she was soft in her pasterns. Maybe because she was breech??

We have had 8 embryo calves born since Monday that were all due on the 12th.

JUst had a cow calve 15 days early based on her AI date. Calf is doing fine.

Latest posts