Breeding Questions

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Was wondering if anyone could give a ballpark price to have cows bred. I would like to compare AI to renting a bull. I only have 8 cows and was lucky enough to use neighbors bull before. But I hate to wear out my welcome so was looking for alternatives for next spring. If it helps I live in southwestern Michigan. Tahnk you.

[email protected]

For AI semen costs run from about 12 bucks per unit up to as much as you can be conned in to. A 20 dollar is an awfully good bull. Check with your local large animal vet or a nearby dairy to see what they would charge to breed for you, and store the semen.

dunmovin farms

> Was wondering if anyone could give
> a ballpark price to have cows
> bred. I would like to compare AI
> to renting a bull. I only have 8
> cows and was lucky enough to use
> neighbors bull before. But I hate
> to wear out my welcome so was
> looking for alternatives for next
> spring. If it helps I live in
> southwestern Michigan. Tahnk you.

My neighbor who has a dairy does AI for my cows. Breeding to an *average* bull runs $10 for the semen and $10 for him to do it. Since he runs Holsteins and I have Jerseys, I recently bought some Jersey semen online -- one of the top bulls in the world, $16.50 per straw including shipping. And my neighbor isn't charging me anything to store the semen in his tank.

Ann B

> For AI semen costs run from about
> 12 bucks per unit up to as much as
> you can be conned in to. A 20
> dollar is an awfully good bull.
> Check with your local large animal
> vet or a nearby dairy to see what
> they would charge to breed for
> you, and store the semen.

> dunmovin farms

You have had some good replies to your question. I might add heat detection in your herd is vitally important. There are some aids to help with this. One is a pad glued to the tailhead of your cows called a KMAR Heat Indicator Pad. You need to observe your cows several times a day. Average conception rate on AI is around 50%. This number greatly improves with the better job of heat detection. I find breeding twelve hours post standing heat has proven the best time for insemination. We run 76% conception on a 30 day AI breeding program. 250 hd reg. Blk. Angus. Good luck!........Don't be too proud to ask your neighbor to rent a bull, if he is willing. Even at $50 a cow, this will save you a lot of time and inconvenience.

> Was wondering if anyone could give
> a ballpark price to have cows
> bred. I would like to compare AI
> to renting a bull. I only have 8
> cows and was lucky enough to use
> neighbors bull before. But I hate
> to wear out my welcome so was
> looking for alternatives for next
> spring. If it helps I live in
> southwestern Michigan. Tahnk you.

> My neighbor who has a dairy does
> AI for my cows. Breeding to an
> *average* bull runs $10 for the
> semen and $10 for him to do it.
> Since he runs Holsteins and I have
> Jerseys, I recently bought some
> Jersey semen online -- one of the
> top bulls in the world, $16.50 per
> straw including shipping. And my
> neighbor isn't charging me
> anything to store the semen in his
> tank.

> Ann B

I am holding bach some of my best heifers for the first time and need to know how old they should be before breeding and what type of bull would be the best for ease of calving with out having to pull them. THANKS,T.D.

[email protected]