Breeding Question

Help Support CattleToday:

CopeMan

Reaction score
As some people know I am almost 19 years old, and I am just getting started in the cattle buisness, currently I only have 1 angus heifer who is on a farm with the cattle who is owned by the people who I got her from(some friends of the family).I am in college working on gettin my BS in Applied technology (Drafting, Auto CAD, that kind of work). So I plan to graduate college and in the future begin expanding in to my own cattle herd. Commercial first and always, and I would like to eventually have a small Reg. herd also. Now in my commercial herd, I have thought of many ideas and I know what sells best in my area, black cattle, black baldies and charolais and anything else thats crossed with Char. like those smokie calves that you get when you cross Angus and Char. But anyway I intend to have angus cows ,black baldie cows and herefords in my commercial herd, and use angus bulls on them. Would it be good to maybe every other year use a hereford bull? to get black baldies calves from the angus cows and get replacement heifers from the hereford cows, then the next year or two switch back to angus and get more angus relplacemt heifers and black baldie heifers and then so on back to hereford again? I would like to use horned hereford bulls when it comes time to use a hereford bull and I would have polled hereford cows. What are your alls opinions on all this? You all give good advice. And as I mentioned, about having a Reg. herd I would like to have angus, so I could raise and use my own bulls and sale a few to locals. I dont want to do this full time, but I have had farm animals and loved animals and faming my whole life so , this will be my hobby well I shouldnt say hobby,(passion). So I would like to have anywhere form 75 to 100 eventually. An buy my own farm or lease. Well guys I just thought I would explain myself and situation. Your input is well appreciated. Thanks

Now I will admit I don't know much in th way of life as I ain't that old haven't had the experiece of many others on this board... But I'd suggest aiming for a few more cows than that and allowing yourself to fluctuate you herd with the land you have available.

I think you are on the right track on your commercial plan. Hereford bulls in the rotation occasionally sounds like a good idea to me, but of course I'm expected to say that. Nevertheless, I really do like your idea. I'm seeing some good demand for Hereford bulls in the commercial herds around here.

copeman-
first, i wouldnt recommend switching bulls every other year unless you have another herd to use him in. i would try to keep the bull at least 3 years, otherwise its too costly.
second, why do you want to put horned genes back into a herd of polled cattle?
IF it were me, i'd probably have the registered herd of angus, a herd of polled herefords to breed to angus or BRANGUS, and then keep some of those heifers in a separate herd to breed first to low bw angus (or beefmaster!) for the first 2 calves and then put a charolais bull on them.
JMO, beefy

Caustic Burno":2zneccg5 said:
Run what you like, color doesn't matter,its about management. T-Bone comes from the same place on all of them.

Thanks Cuastic Burno. Good answer.

Beefy":2e01vuew said:
copeman-
first, i wouldnt recommend switching bulls every other year unless you have another herd to use him in. i would try to keep the bull at least 3 years, otherwise its too costly.
second, why do you want to put horned genes back into a herd of polled cattle?
IF it were me, i'd probably have the registered herd of angus, a herd of polled herefords to breed to angus or BRANGUS, and then keep some of those heifers in a separate herd to breed first to low bw angus (or beefmaster!) for the first 2 calves and then put a charolais bull on them.
JMO, beefy

I like your idea to beefy, Im glad to hear fom ya again, I thought youd had fallen off the face of the earth. I guess you been in school. Anywayz I still would like to get some beefmasters heifers or cows from you in the future.

sorry cokeman--been preoccupied with new girl friend. you know how that goes.

Beefy":1fdzw10h said:
sorry cokeman--been preoccupied with new girl friend. you know how that goes.

Yes I do beefy , I went on a date last Sat. Night.

bobby22":gvvy9wiy said:
F-1 brangus and braford hiefers sell real good everywhere.
Everywhere? Maybe Oldtimer can weigh in on this one. ;-)

In fact, they won't even sell good on my place, 'cause I don't want any! The F1's will get you quarter cross calves with a Brit or Cont bull. Little much ear for me!

Caustic Burno":2dgg20l3 said:
Anything with ear, a little hump, and dew lap gets docked pretty hard here.
What do you consider "pretty hard," Caustic? Not trying to be nosey or anything. :D

I was talking about hiefers. The steers do get docked a little but not bad around here. We got .65 cents a pound for a 1640 pound purebred brahman bull at the local sale this week. That was more than the black bulls were bringing. Can you believe that I know it sounds crazy but it is true. :lol: :lol:

That's a good looking bull on your avatar Bobby! Welcome to the boards (sorry.. I haven't noticed you before) it's always nice to get more BRAHMAN breeders here, eh Cherokee?

Thanks, my son has a bull just about like this one but he has more black on him. His grandfather is diamomd t 800. We have mostly red brahman. We bought the black bull to darken the red up a little. :)

:cboy: I can say living in southern Ohio that in a 100 mile radius there are only two of us that run a strong brahma - cross. If I take them to the sale I can't give them away. I have a couple neighbors who feed cattle and they pay me top dollar off the farm.

Latest posts