breeding question

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I know this is a mostly a beef board but, I have a few jersey nurse cows that are getting some age on them and would like to breed them to a jersey bull to raise a few replacements,I cant find a jersey bull, But i have found a young registerd brown swiss bull. I heard the brown swiss have calves that weigh 100lbs or so. Question is to breed or not to breed to the brown swiss? All the Jersey Cows, weigh 900 or so. The cows have always been bred to a chrolais bull.

otistee":3he7k4sy said:
I know this is a mostly a beef board but, I have a few jersey nurse cows that are getting some age on them and would like to breed them to a jersey bull to raise a few replacements,I cant find a jersey bull, But i have found a young registerd brown swiss bull. I heard the brown swiss have calves that weigh 100lbs or so. Question is to breed or not to breed to the brown swiss? All the Jersey Cows, weigh 900 or so. The cows have always been bred to a chrolais bull.

Although mature Jerseys are generally pretty good calvers, you're begging problems breeding them to a Swiss. Large calves just from the Swiss influence, but highbred vigor doesn't just start at birth, the cross bred calves would probably be even a little bigger because of it. Your best bet would be to find someone to AI them to a good Jersey bull

dun

OK ....Jersey Bull on Brown Swiss............Perfecto.............Brown Swiss Bull on Jersey.............NO no.............If you want a nice dairy cross go
with a shorthorn. :D

My dad has Jerseys. If you want, use the Swiss bull, Jersey cows have the abuility to stunt its fetus (weird!) the calf will still be small. We once had a 25 lb. calf.

Matt":l1h56crw said:
My dad has Jerseys. If you want, use the Swiss bull, Jersey cows have the abuility to stunt its fetus (weird!) the calf will still be small. We once had a 25 lb. calf.

25 lb calves come from Jerseys that are heavy with the Old World bloodlines. NO cow of a Jersey's size could "stunt" the calf enough to make a Brown Swiss a safe mating.

Ann B

otistee":20bjwm22 said:

Since you can't find a Jersey bull, have you considered AI? You can get semen from good Jersey bulls for $12-$20.
Another good option on a Jersey cow is a Guernsey bull.

Ann B

Matt":30z07f1l said:
Jerseys have Holstein cross calves with no problem. Swiss calves aren't that much bigger.

That extra 10-15 lbs can sure make a difference come calving times. There are only a few dairys left around here that have Swiss. Those that do typicaly have to pull the majority of the Swiss calves but rarely pull Holsteins. Maybe it's shape, but they sure do seem to come harder.

dun

Ellie May":34yrlpe3 said:
Howdy,
Mrs. Bledsoe what is your favorite breed of milk cow that has the best milk? Just curious.
Ellie May

Hi Ellie

Jersey, no question.
And I like the "original" (aka Miniature) Jerseys even better.
Good production compared to body weight, good temperaments, high butterfat, and a good portion of the Miniature Jerseys are polled.

Fancy1.jpg

Yeah that's always been my favorite dairy breed. I like their looks. Good picture by the way. I've been trying to talk my dad into getting one, he says eventually we will but it might not be a jersy considering our cousin raises holstiens. No offense to Holstien breeders/lovers I think they are kinda boring, but that's just my opinion. Well I sure wish I knew how to put a picture up, I still don't know how.
Thank you,
ELLIE MAY

Ellie May":1o6xpw0y said:
Yeah that's always been my favorite dairy breed. I like their looks. Good picture by the way. I've been trying to talk my dad into getting one, he says eventually we will but it might not be a jersy considering our cousin raises holstiens. No offense to Holstien breeders/lovers I think they are kinda boring, but that's just my opinion. Well I sure wish I knew how to put a picture up, I still don't know how.
Thank you,
ELLIE MAY
Maybe Macon or CherokeeRuby or txag could post some instructions on how to do it without over sizing the whole thing.
Hopefully

Charlais calves are known for having lots of bone & large birth weights. If your cows have not had any past calving problems, I would take the chance. I have had my smaller Brahman females bred to Brown Swiss Bulls and never had any birthing problems.

Ellie May":31b3es44 said:
No offense but why & what kind of insect do you have in your avaitor?
Ellie May

It's a female eastern dobson fly. The larvae stage is a hellgramite

dun

Latest posts