Breeding question?

Help Support CattleToday:

DORIAN

Reaction score
I have some cow's that are angus/char and angus/Brahman and I am planning on using a Continental terminal bull. My question is if I might have calving problems because of the Angus in them.

Thanks for your comments.

Well my plan is to improve my herd with some Angus for maternal ability and then use Char, Limi or whatever breeds to improve weaning weights.

id feel the angus/bra cross would be less likely for calving problems due too the brahman .. but the angus/ charolais ??? finding one bull too work on both of em ??

Why not just breed them with a good angus bull? Or maybe a Lim-Flex?

My plan is to keep improving my herd with Angus but I am hearing stories from some commercial cattlemen about their weaning weights. They are happy with what Angus has done for their herd but now they want to improve their weaning weights. I don't want to go one direction and then have calving problems or be limited to what terminal bulls I can use.
It's questionable how you see high weaning weights on some of the Angus bull sales but in the real world it's a different story or maybe they are just using the wrong bulls.
Thanks for the information.

Are you looking for a terminal bull or do you want to keep daughters? If you go with an angus, just pick a high accuracy one, there are way too many out there right now that show lots of growth, but have low accuracy, that is one way to not get the growth you expected.

RD-Sam":39a4x4og said:
Are you looking for a terminal bull or do you want to keep daughters?

I am planning on keeping replacements and I will keep in mind high accuracy bulls since I am doing some AI.

Thanks

DORIAN":2abm2v2h said:
RD-Sam":2abm2v2h said:

I am planning on keeping replacements and I will keep in mind high accuracy bulls since I am doing some AI.

Thanks
keeping replacement from a terminal bull....?

alacattleman":2og9evq1 said:
DORIAN":2og9evq1 said:
RD-Sam":2og9evq1 said:

Thanks

Sorry, no I am not keeping replacemtns from a terminal bull.

alacattleman":39xupghm said:
DORIAN":39xupghm said:
RD-Sam":39xupghm said:

Sorry, no I am not keeping replacemtns from a terminal bull.[/quote]

That's where it's going to get tricky for you, you want all that growth, but you want to keep females, generally the two do not mix well. You might pick out your best females and breed them in a manner as to retain heifers, then breed the rest to terminal bulls for beef sales. Many try and walk a fine line between the two, sometimes it works out, sometimes not.

BRYANT":mpk6xzei said:
OK you all just lost this hillbilly what is a terminal bull?
A terminal bull is one that all of his offspring will go to slaughter and not be kept as breeders

A good continental maternal breed ,,I would use a Gelbvieh bull.. You will not be disappointed, and the calves will be chunky monkeys, thick deep and long.. :)

Plus your replacements will be very fertile which is always an added bonus.. :nod:

DORIAN":3rtub3qw said:
RD-Sam":3rtub3qw said:

Thanks

if you are keeping females, you are shooting yourself in the foot using a terminal bull. and for the record, about 80% of the Angus bulls out there are terminal.

why (specifically) would someone use a maternal bull?

hillsdown":37ob0o30 said:
why (specifically) would someone use a maternal bull?

Define maternal...

that's the first step...

Latest posts