Breeding Question

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

A friend of mine wants to raise a few cattle to fill his freezer each year. He wants to breed a holstein bull to his angus heifers. Is this a good idea? I'm worried that the calves will be too large for the heifers to carry not to mention deliver without problems. What do you think?

Thanks for your advise,

Denise

Lets see, larger calves because of the Holstein for calving difficulties. Poor muscle from the Holstein compared to Angus. Poorer carcass characteristics then Angus thanks to the Holstein. If he keeps and heifers, larger framed heifers/cows requiring more feed, more then likely way too much milk, also requiring more feed.
Gee it sounds like a cross made in heaven!

dun

Guest":1dcvr3yp said:
A friend of mine wants to raise a few cattle to fill his freezer each year. He wants to breed a holstein bull to his angus heifers. Is this a good idea? I'm worried that the calves will be too large for the heifers to carry not to mention deliver without problems. What do you think?

Thanks for your advise,

Denise

dun":b3c2pn5p said:
Lets see, larger calves because of the Holstein for calving difficulties. Poor muscle from the Holstein compared to Angus. Poorer carcass characteristics then Angus thanks to the Holstein. If he keeps and heifers, larger framed heifers/cows requiring more feed, more then likely way too much milk, also requiring more feed.
Gee it sounds like a cross made in heaven!

dun

Guest":b3c2pn5p said:

Thanks for your advise,

Denise

I think Dun is saying "Bad Idea" and I agree.

If he wants a good continental cross with lots of milk there are some really good, easy calving simmentals out there that would fill the bill much better than a holstien. It also would add some muscle and frame and make a much more marketable animal.

Rod":2zhm85cq said:
Why in the world hostein??

probably because, like me, he has a neighbor who will let him use the bull for free!! But, in my case, I politely said no thanks, as I didnt want that old scraggly looking bull on my beefmasters and angus! I am just gonna rent a bull from a fellow up the street from me for a few months.

Cattle Rack Rancher":1sy5iy0p said:
If he wants a good continental cross with lots of milk there are some really good, easy calving simmentals out there that would fill the bill much better than a holstien. It also would add some muscle and frame and make a much more marketable animal.
agree Simmentals will be better choice, even Tarentaise, Normande or Gelvieh will be better choices

The only way that I see it as feasible is to do it the other way around -- holstein cows bred to a beef bull. There is a big demand for those dairy/beef cross calves around here, they make great veal. And, in this area anyway, it is common practice to breed Holstein heifers to calving ease Angus bulls to reduce calving problems.

Ann B

Ellie May":2sfundg6 said:
I'm not against dairy cattle, but I wouldn't breed them to a meat breed for meat. In goats it may work but not in cattle.
Ellie May

Latest posts