breeding question

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I recently bought three simbrah cattle and would like to ask what type of cows should I cross with this simbrah bull. He weighed 2500 thin and since I fattened him up. Approx. wt maybe 2700. He looks just like the bull on your web site under simbrah. I want cows that can handle a bull this size. I was thinking about cross with charolis. What are you recommendations? Thank you Elfie

[email protected]

> A cow elephant. When a bull gets much bigger than 1700 lbs they are hard on cows. You do not gain anything by having a huge bull, next time buy your cows first and then buy a bull to match your cows.

I recently bought three simbrah
> cattle and would like to ask what
> type of cows should I cross with
> this simbrah bull. He weighed 2500
> thin and since I fattened him up.
> Approx. wt maybe 2700. He looks
> just like the bull on your web
> site under simbrah. I want cows
> that can handle a bull this size.
> I was thinking about cross with
> charolis. What are you
> recommendations? Thank you Elfie

The bulls I use better weigh at least 2500 pounds when mature. I have used bulls weighing over a ton onyearling heifers with no trouble. If a bull is agile he won't hurt a cow at all. If he is clumsy even a small bull can do damage.

Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus Farms Alberta Canada

[email protected]

> I recently bought three simbrah
> cattle and would like to ask what
> type of cows should I cross with
> this simbrah bull. He weighed 2500
> thin and since I fattened him up.
> Approx. wt maybe 2700. He looks
> just like the bull on your web
> site under simbrah. I want cows
> that can handle a bull this size.
> I was thinking about cross with
> charolis. What are you
> recommendations? Thank you Elfie

Why not use the simmental cows? The simbrah bull is a simmental/brahman. I do like the simmental breed and the cows will handle your bull just fine. Good Luck.

[email protected]

WHY NOT GO WITH WHAT THE CONSUMER AND THE INDUSTRY WANT!GO GET YOURSELF SOME BLACK COWS N YOU WILL BE FINE.AS A RULE BRAHMA'S JUST LIKE SIMMENTALS WON'T GRADE WELL.SIMMENTALS JUST WILL NOT MARBLE,AS WELL AS THE CHANCE OF GETTING AN ANIMAL THAT HAS AN OVER 900# CARCASS WICH MAJORITY OF PACKERS WILL DISCOUNT HEAVILY ESPECIALLEY IF IT IS OVER 900# AN WILL NOT BE CHOICE OR PRIME!!!IF U DON'T LIKE ANGUS COWS AT LEAST GO WITH AN ENGLISH BREED SUCH AS HEREFORD OR SHORTHORN THE LATTER BEING MY SECOND CHOICE. WITH A SIMBRAH BULL YOU SHOULD NOT GO W/SIMMENTAL OR CHARLOIS TOO MUCH LEAN TOO MUCH GROWTH WILL NOT HELP YOUR BOTTEM LINE OR TASTE WELL EITHER!! AN ENGLISH BREED WILL GIVE YOU MARBLING (taste/ability to grade) AND TONE DOWN THE GROWTH (frame size) OF THE CALVES WHICH WILL MAKE THEM EASIER TO SELL.

[email protected]

Latest posts