Breeding prices

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I haven't brought cows in for breeding before. The owner of the cattle says that $15.00 per pair per month to have his cows on my pasture with my bull is fare. Does this sound fair? Any info on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Probably some of this depends on where you live and what your bull is like. I had my heifer bred to a dexter here in Northern AZ. I was told the fee would be $75.00 and if my heifer had to stay (in case I had gotten her heat timing wrong) there was a $4.00 a day charge. This gentleman has numerous cows over to be bred and noone balks at the prices, so I'm thinkin' it's the going price around here. I had one other person tell me that the breeding fee to her angus was $150.00. Anyway, $15.00 for 2 cows for one month would be a steal, but our small falily hobby farm cattle need hay supplemented even in the summer (dab nab this drought ridden southwest :)

Hey! $15. per pair per month---the person searching for breeding is lookiong for a FREEBIE! No way for that price!

Think the going rate (more or less) for an "average" good bull is about $150 a month rent. I also wouldn't "room and board" any females for less than $3 to $4 per day while on my property. If, for example, his/her cows were kept for 2 cycles (5-6 weeks), at the daily rate...well you get the picture. A good bull 2+ years old should be able to breed 15 to 20 females easily. If he owner brought several females to your place to be serviced by your bull, could make him/her a package deal.

Also, consider your insurance, liability, etc., in addition to feed & care of animals brought to your place. And, ALL females brought should have all vaccinations and de-worming current BEFORE arriving at your place; and, they should be penned in an "isolation" area away from your other animals for health and other reasons.

Hope this helps!

I am charging a person 50.00 per head. My Dexter bull goes to his home and he pays for the feed and pastureing. I checked out the place to make sure that it was safe and all before deciding to do it that way. Some of the other Dexter owners charge 75.00 per head. This will be my bulls first year so I thought that it was only right not to charge a full price breeding.

This same guy alsa has rented a Angus bull that is not registered and is paying 10.00 per head. He has the bull at his home for 45 days.

I am currently using a neighbors Angus bull to breed my 5 cows. We agreed upon a price of $200 for 3 months "rental". He brought the bull to my place since I don't own a trailer yet, and he will pick him up when he has finished his business!

We used to lease bulls when we raised dairy heifers, they were cheap.
Youre not getting much of a bull and they are on your place. That's how he made his money, he didnt cut anything, leased them so cheap that you would keep them year round and when you wanted to trade for another he would just hall them to the sale barn. It worked real good for him untill he was killed by a bull.
It was in the 70's but he charged $250 for 3 months or $30 year.
hillbilly

A friend of mine leased a purebred bull last year. It was $500 for three months, they delivered the bull, she delivered it back to them. (Well actually, I did)

But she was smart and got insurance on him for those three months. You never know...

Double R Ranch":l3s0sz34 said:
I haven't brought cows in for breeding before. The owner of the cattle says that $15.00 per pair per month to have his cows on my pasture with my bull is fare. Does this sound fair? Any info on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Consider this: If a good registered bull costs $2500 and a bull should pay for itself in three years, then the bull is worth $833 per year. Divide that number by the number of cows the bull will breed, usually about 25 to 30 cows in a breeding season. If he averages 27 cows the costs of the bull service is $31. Then add in the pasture and supplement cost to the bull service costs and you will come up with the costs to you. Don't forget to add in profit for the deal. Profit is not a bad word and is expected if you are going to stay in business.

O.K. Here is the scoop. We have 6 cows-5 with calves brought in for breeding to my angus/limo bull. They are on partial dry-partial wet land (A large creek runs through our property) The owner thinks that $15.00 per pair per month is going rate.

Do you have a state Agriculture office that you can call? I'd give that a whirl, they might have the best idea as what the going rate in your area is.

Sounds like the man's getting a heck of a deal... if he thinks that it's the going rate, why aren't his cattle already out on grass somewhere for that price?

Take care.

Then he should have no problem finding some one else to breed his cows. $15 is ok if you are not feeding his cows. Most AI techs will charge $2-3 per day boarding and an additional breeding charge.
Tod

Double R Ranch":2xjnbgq6 said:
O.K. Here is the scoop. We have 6 cows-5 with calves brought in for breeding to my angus/limo bull. They are on partial dry-partial wet land (A large creek runs through our property) The owner thinks that $15.00 per pair per month is going rate.

Tod Dague":6s0fshv8 said:
Then he should have no problem finding some one else to breed his cows. $15 is ok if you are not feeding his cows. Most AI techs will charge $2-3 per day boarding and an additional breeding charge.
Tod

Double R Ranch":6s0fshv8 said:

Tod: He is feeding the cows. They are eating grass that he could other wise use. I don't know how many acres he has to graze or what kind of grass he has or where he is located but grass has value. He could bale it and sell it for hay instead of giving it to the nabor's cows. He could also purchase more cows and use the grass for his own grazing and increase his herd size. If you don't treat your cattle operation as a business you won't make any money and the IRS will one day catch up with you and you may owe years of back taxes.

If you are going to be a good nabor either breed his cows for nothering or be a good businessman and charge a price that you can at lease breakeven with. Breeding cows does include maintenance cost for the cows. Fifteen dollars might buy some good seman for AI.

Latest posts