Breeding Polled Herfords

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
I have one bull and two Heiffers. One heifer is 1/2 related to the bull the other is not related at all. How close can I breed these animals? I am new at this and do not have any idea. I have tried to find info and have had no luck.
Thanks[/b]

How close is the heifer related to him? if shes his daughter, grand daughter or even great grand daughter i wouldn't breed them togther. The geneitcs get all messed up .

The 1/2 half related should be ok to breed ..but probably advise against breeding her heifer ...to the bull. The precedent used is that it is ok to breed mom and son but not prodgeny to dad. This is not as related. I would avoid it if possible....I always thought it was to close related.

half related means the bull an heifer are half bro an sis an they are ok to breed to eachother scott

Just this past year I bred a Vaquero daughter to a Vaquero son and got an excellent bull calf. Breeding that close will exaggerate both the positives and defects, so care would be in order in choosing to breed this way. I have been told that "line breeding" should only be done with a resulting offspring percentage in the 25% - 50% range. What you're asking about does not brake that rule. It would be right at 50%.

I will emphasize again that line breeding exaggerates defects as well as positive traits.

There is more info on this subject than one can process. The closer the relation the more you will lock in the genetic traits, both good and bad. If all works well, then you've done a good job at line breeding. If it doesn't work out so well, then you're inbreeding.

My herd is a commercial hodgepodge right now (Hereford, Red Angus, Charolais, Hillbilly Hybrid etc. etc), but I plan on acquring some more purebred Herefords over the next several months. I'm going to linebreed everthing around Keynote 20X, as there are so many different good indivduals down from him to use, without genetically painting one's self into a corner. A gradual effort to raise the Wright's Inbreeding Coefficient, or the Coefficient of Inbreeding over time; while being very selective in regard to brood stock, is a much better approach than quick hardcore inbreedings.

RWT hit the nail on the head about traits; both good and bad being exxagerated, and I think I stated somewhere else here once that linebreeding and inbreeding will give you 'Double the goodness and triple the trash". You've got to cull out anything that is undesireable, as it will become much more pronounced when line bred.

Without getting into a science lesson and boring myself and everyone else here, let us consider the benefits of inbreeding. A quick read of the text below will keep it simple enough to see the benefits.

Inbreeding Coefficients

While most breeders recognize that a mating between half-siblings or cousins represents inbreeding, the majority probably have no idea which represents the closer inbreeding.

The standard definition of inbreeding is that it is any scheme which results in the sire and the dam having common ancestors. This common heritage is expressed by a parameter called the inbreeding coefficient, first proposed by Sewell Wright in 1922. Designated F by Wright (but more commonly IC or IBC by breeders), it can theoretically range from 0 to 100%, and indicates the probability that the two alleles for any gene are identical by descent. Though the primary consequence of inbreeding is to increase homozygosity, the IBC is not a direct measure of homozygosity because the two alleles may be the same for other reasons. Within a breed, some proportion of all the genes will be the homozygous because there was only one allele to start with. In that sense, the IBC may be regarded as indicating what proportion of the remainder have been made homozygous by inbreeding.

The inbreeding coefficient is a function of the number and location of the common ancestors in a pedigree. It is not a function, except indirectly, of the inbreeding of the parents. Thus, one can mate two highly inbred individuals who share little common ancestry and produce kids with a very low IBC. (Because the potential number of ancestors doubles every generation, eventually you reach a point where the number of ancestors exceeds the number of individuals alive at that time. You are, therefore, bound to find some common ancestors if you go back far enough.) Conversely, it is possible to mate two closely related individuals, both of which have low IBCs, and boost the IBC substantially.

The % of IBC or WIC is simply this, a chance that the offspring will inherit traits directly from their parents rather than from either parent's background. Most stock within a breed today probably represent a pretty low IC around 1-5%, meaning there is only a 1-5% chance that traits will be inherited directly from the parents. Inheriting traits from the parents is what we want isn't it?! We breed to a great bull to get another him, not to get his great great great grandsire.

Well bred fault free individuals is the way will we more rapidly improve our genetics and consistently "lock in" the good traits of an exceptional individual or the traits of an entire breeding program.

This subject has been hashed and rehashed several times in the past, and there are some good discussions on it. I suggest that you do a search on the boards for all threads related to this topic.

greenwillowherefords":24tfj1rq said:
This subject has been hashed and rehashed several times in the past, and there are some good discussions on it. I suggest that you do a search on the boards for all threads related to this topic.

I'm kinda enjoying this thread. A'int got a dog in this fight what so ever.

Wewild":31p1fydc said:
greenwillowherefords":31p1fydc said:

I'm kinda enjoying this thread. A'int got a dog in this fight what so ever.
:lol:

There are some things I'd like to say about it, but it takes a long time to say them, and I've already said them in other threads! Done properly, line-breeding is a valuable practice, in its place.