Breeding older heifer?

Help Support CattleToday:

fasttommy

Reaction score
I picked up a 3 yr old heifer from a friend as part of a package deal. Older guy who always had just a couple cows around but never got a bull in the last couple years then finally just sold the group to me as part before he left on a month vacation. I was basically just planning on butchering the heifer but I got to wondering what if I turned her with the bull. What issues might occur...lack of milk, failure to breed, or would it be business as usual? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hard to say. But there's a good chance she'll breed, have a nice calf with no problems, raise the calf, breed back and raise many more. Won't know unless you try.

kenny thomas":vh5xdjva said:
Or if she is really really fat she may do none of the above.

She's pretty fat. Estimating 1500 pounds, fairly framey compared to my other cows but either way she is real fleshy.

Most likely she would do just fine. This year, I calved out 4, 3 yr. old heifers, that didn't breed at 2 yrs. They all calved ok, and all are doing well raising their calves.

I vote for freezer beef. You can do much better on a replacement heifer if she calves at the proper age and condition.

If you do breed her at 3, make sure you use a real calving ease bull. She won;t have t give in her pelvis that a younger heifer would have.

dun":363lomo8 said:
If you do breed her at 3, make sure you use a real calving ease bull. She won;t have t give in her pelvis that a younger heifer would have.

Thnks for bringing this to my attention. Thr risk is probably bigger than the reward here.

Latest posts