Breeding my Holsteins

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
Can I Breed my Holstein Bull to her half-Sisters? Is that too close? If I register them will they be considered ok for future Breeding?

i would sell that bull.an AI the heifers to a top AI hol bull.hol bulls can an do get meaner than snott.

Sell your bull , you have used him long enough if he has daughters that are ready to be bred. Two years is plenty long for an H bull ,after that they start to get mean.

Buy another one with a very deep pedigree and STILL AI those heifers at least once to a top Holstein bull.

If I remember correctly you want to sell them as bred heifers ? If you want any decent price for them you had better get a decent bull to breed them ,AI is your best course of action and then use your new bull for clean up on the ones that didn't catch.

DO NOT breed them to your old bull, you will get no registered buyers for your girls.

lancemart":ux4dontj said:
Can I Breed my Holstein Bull to her half-Sisters? Is that too close? If I register them will they be considered ok for future Breeding?

Yes. If they were good quality polled Herefords, I would be interested in buying the future calves.

You may do anything you like............ but, will it work?

A couple questions for you? Are you breeding him to his half sisters simply because he's the only holstein bull you have available???
OR is it because the bloodline is so outstanding???? or at least outstanding to you.

If its the first then I would pass.

Now, having said that, we're going to do exactly what you are proposing to do. The hubby's bull is out of his favorite cow, who is now 21. She has 2 daughters, #23 and #724 and they are due to calve soon and will be bred back to a bull who is also out of that cow.
It may not work very well, but at least its a double concentration of this cow. I just hope they both have heifers.

line breeding in the Holstein world works and sells .

In breeding does not. This is a completely different market than beef. The PB registered Holstein breeders do not want inbred.

This is what it will be,,, inbred .

Inbreeding and linebreeding are good ways to advance herds, many breed are based on this...

S&WSigma40VEShooter":3ru6toj1 said:
HerefordSire":3ru6toj1 said:
Any breeding within a registry population is inbreeding.

You can punch your registry numbers in this Holstein inbreeding calculator....

http://www.holsteinusa.com/services?act ... breedSpecs

Do they make one of those for the folks in Kentucky and alabama? LOL Just joking.

When I worked in the oil fields in West Texas panhandle and Western Oklahoma (Anadarko Basin), I wish I had a calculater like that because most of the ladies, which were extremely rare, appeared to be short and heavy. Someone said it was due to the breeding culture because the population was so low.

novaman":34tjitm9 said:
alftn":34tjitm9 said:
Inbreeding and linebreeding are good ways to advance herds, many breed are based on this...
By people who know what they are doing.

Right .. :clap:

We line breed Holsteins all the time but only using AI bulls that have heavy proofs and many daughters milking so you can get an accurate read on what your new prodigy is going to be like.

I could never sell a heifer or an embryo that was out of my herd bull who was a half brother to the dam. I might be able to sell one that was out of the top proof AI bull in the association and a half brother to the dam though.

Not always, but my point is that it is done on a regular basic world wide....

alftn":3hee0ank said:
Not always, but my point is that it is done on a regular basic world wide....
Probably so but I just wouldn't recommend it. With all the excellent blood lines out there I can't understand why it would be necessary to take the risk and line breed.

Latest posts