Breeding Mistakes

Help Support CattleToday:

I think SBMF 2015 is into finishing cattle, and negative EN score would in theory make for bigger frame that would finish out bigger.
I don't understand his take on the negative docility as that looks like would lead to more dark cutters.
Nope, I screwed up. I'm not afraid to admit when I make a mistake.
As for the -Doc every one needs a coyote chaser. ;)

Eagles Run High Roller on a first calf heifer. 98.5 lb hard pull resulting in a dead bull calf. Won't use him on any other heifers for sure- no matter what the breeder or EPDs said!
I'm not sure I would consider using him on any female. I can't see any bull worth having to worry all calving season about. Even folks selling pounds at the sale barn shouldnt stay up all night to get a 10 lb heavier calf. Pretty sure you arent selling at the sale barn!

Calving ease is at the top of my list for culling. Any assistance rules out both parents as seedstock for me.

I'm not sure I would consider using him on any female. I can't see any bull worth having to worry all calving season about. Even folks selling pounds at the sale barn shouldnt stay up all night to get a 10 lb heavier calf. Pretty sure you arent selling at the sale barn!

Calving ease is at the top of my list for culling. Any assistance rules out both parents as seedstock for me.
Used him on a much older female and she had a 85 lb bull calf unassisted. Not registering him and still haven't castrated him but we likely will cut those off. We don't take many to the sale barn so he would finish here.

Figure that I can use him for a terminal cross on older cows since I still have 8 straws.

Had a couple bad experiences.
The first- old school limousine bull. The words flight or fight really suited his progeny. Thankfully had just a couple, but that was more than enough. Have only one his daughter as a cow. The only good tempered from all his calves. 12 years old at the moment.
The second, and very recent- used "easy calving-heifer safe- bull on some females, which shouldn't have been crossed with him. Some calves were okay, easily calved, but some were some scale wreckers. The biggest calf from 26 months old heifer- 121lbs bull calf. Needed assistance with a jack. The biggest from a second calf cow- 139lbs. This one was alive for a couple hours, but never stood up. Still using that bull on a very few cows, but never on heifers. His smallest calf was 83lbs from a small heifer, but she actually always has small calves.
And the third, the most recent one- charolais bull. The AI man didn't had the bull, which we really liked anymore, so used a new one on three cows. Two heifers and one bull were born this year. Bull died a couple days after birth, so no idea how he would have turned out, but two heifers, especially one, very very dissapointing. Both from proven cows, not youngsters, both cows are good producers, always had good growthy and nicely shaped calves. Not this time, unfortunately. Both heifers were lacking growth a lot. Have another heifer from another charolais bull and she is way bigger than those two. Sold one heifer as a weanling- 9months old 595lbs. Have left the second one, at least for now. She has mom's looks and is abit bigger than that one. She might turn out quite alright, if she'll take after her mom.

What Jeanne said... better know your cows... they're bringing half of the genetics to the table.

A board member whom I don't see here anymore had a group of heifers bred to N Bar PrimeTime D806 (CED +12 Acc .89, BW -2)... and had to pull almost every one of them. But... they were daughters of BFCK Cherokee Canyon, the Red Angus bull famous for siring daughters with a tiny little slit of a pelvis... his maternal calving ease epd (CETM) is -15.

We bought a pb Simmental bull to use for cleanup, and as a heifer bull... his initial CED epd was 17 (he's at 14.9 now)so, we felt like he was a pretty good pick. First heifer to calve to him had a huge bull calf that was dead when we found her, early morning after she'd gone into labor after dark. Ended up having to do a fetotomy in order to get it out.
"What have I done?!", I wondered... just knowing I was in for a trainwreck. But everything else came small and slender; never had another big one by him. That one heifer just had too much BW behind her, or lost the roll of the dice when it came to pelvic size.

Latest posts