Breeding Mistakes

Help Support CattleToday:

How many of these mistakes could have been avoided by using only high accuracy sires? I know someone has to be first to report the data that makes them high accuracy but still….

I think folks put too much faith in EPD's. Especially, when it comes to those curve benders and do it all numbers bulls. Logic would dictate that an outlier for high growth numbers as well as low BW/high CED numbers is going to moderate at least in one area when more of a broad swath of information is recorded.
Even with higher accuracies EPD's are just a tool.

I try to tell everyone - EPD's are just 1 tool in the toolbox.
Cow and management is much more important on CE. Cow can be a fetus developer. Will always have a giant calf.
People need to put more emphasis on their COW FAMILIES. If they aren't big pelvic cattle, they will have trouble calving to a Billie goat.

I used Quaker Hills Rampage when he first hit the scene. I used him on a LH cow, so I was hoping for some wicked growth. What I got was a bull that almost ate my dinner post foot surgery. The mistake was using the new "superstar" bull on the scene. Now I ask for CED, DOC and ACCURACY. I'll even skip the CED for accuracy.

I think folks put too much faith in EPD's. Especially, when it comes to those curve benders and do it all numbers bulls. Logic would dictate that an outlier for high growth numbers as well as low BW/high CED numbers is going to moderate at least in one area when more of a broad swath of information is recorded.
Even with higher accuracies EPD's are just a tool.
I just wish they would tell the expected gestation period of the progeny.

I used Quaker Hills Rampage when he first hit the scene. I used him on a LH cow, so I was hoping for some wicked growth. What I got was a bull that almost ate my dinner post foot surgery. The mistake was using the new "superstar" bull on the scene. Now I ask for CED, DOC and ACCURACY. I'll even skip the CED for accuracy.
His offspring are some of the most correct Angus in sale catalogs so I can see the attraction to him. But those are still pictures and not taken on the run for cover! 😳

I looked up his EPD's. A long with that bad attitude, he's a -36 in $EN. That's my kind of cattle. Can survive on air and thrive in the corn belt.
I may be misunderstanding your comment, but negative EN scores are not desirable.. a higher EN value reflects lower input cattle..

I may be misunderstanding your comment, but negative EN scores are not desirable.. a higher EN value reflects lower input cattle..
I think SBMF 2015 is into finishing cattle, and negative EN score would in theory make for bigger frame that would finish out bigger.
I don't understand his take on the negative docility as that looks like would lead to more dark cutters.

Star Power Simmental bull. Went to Genex meeting and they promoted him as CE bull. All my Ai customers wanted him and I used the crap out of him, for 1 year! Vets got good and C-sections!

Angus, Acclaim. Now they grow but mothers/fertile they are not. All went to feed yard

Star Power Simmental bull. Went to Genex meeting and they promoted him as CE bull. All my Ai customers wanted him and I used the crap out of him, for 1 year! Vets got good and C-sections!
Star Power's dam was something of a power cow. Sire was Dream On which was fairly easy calving. Star Power was an embryo birth, so his actual (low) birth weight may or may not mean much and would not have been used in his initial BW EPD calculation. 2009 BW EPD was +2. Current EPD's on the bull show a +4.9 BW and 6.5 CE EPD with high accuracy. Obviously not a calving ease bull and certainly not a bull to use on heifers. A couple of points (that I have made before) – use low accuracy EPD's with caution (especially on fire and ice matings), but high accuracy EPD's with lots of progeny (over 500 on this bull) generally reflect reality.
Current semen price - $5/straw.

Star Power's dam was something of a power cow. Sire was Dream On which was fairly easy calving. Star Power was an embryo birth, so his actual (low) birth weight may or may not mean much and would not have been used in his initial BW EPD calculation. 2009 BW EPD was +2. Current EPD's on the bull show a +4.9 BW and 6.5 CE EPD with high accuracy. Obviously not a calving ease bull and certainly not a bull to use on heifers. A couple of points (that I have made before) – use low accuracy EPD's with caution (especially on fire and ice matings), but high accuracy EPD's with lots of progeny (over 500 on this bull) generally reflect reality.
Current semen price - $5/straw.
Star Power is the reason I no longer use unproven bulls. Lesson learned. Calves that lived were pretty darn nice.

Your right, I hadn't read the definition for a long time.

Cow Energy Value ($EN), expressed in dollar savings per cow per year, assesses differences in cow energy requirements as an expected dollar savings difference in daughters of sires. A larger value is more favorable when comparing two animals (more dollars saved on feed energy expenses). Components for computing the cow $EN savings difference include lactation energy requirements and energy costs associated with differences in mature cow size.

I still believe there is a link between Doc and $EN

Latest posts