Breeding Hereford, black angus, and Simmental

Help Support CattleToday:

Farm135

Reaction score
I've been wanting to start my own herd. I want to get a three way cross between Simmental, black angus, and Hereford. I want black calves with white faces. I love the look of black baldies. Help me out on the best way to build this herd. Should I go with simangus Bulls on black Baldy cows(Hereford x black angus)? Or should I do Hereford bull on simangus cows? Or black angus bull on simangus cows? Help me out please.

I raise Simmentals, but if I were starting an operation to produce black pelage with a white face, I would accumulate good Angus cows and use a Hereford bull.

That's the exact composite of my herd. Your going to get a few red calves anyway you do it. A good Hereford bull will give you a white face calf every time, and a blazed faced Simmental will give you a blazed or brockle faced calf 50% of the time.....if your lucky. I prefer a Hereford bull over Angus - Angus cross cows for making baldie cows, but I have retained some nice Simmental cross cows for replacements. The only knock on retaining Simmental cross cows is they will get big and don't seem to do as well in heat and drought conditions.

Bright Raven":2etudys4 said:
I raise Simmentals, but if I were starting an operation to produce black pelage with a white face, I would accumulate good Angus cows and use a Hereford bull.
And all this time I thought you raise SimAngus?

If you use a good quality Registered Black Hereford bull, from a reputable breeder,that is Homozygous Black and you can get the hide color you need while still taking advantage of heterosis. Now I said that because I am not talking about a F1 bull (50/50), but a bull that has more Hereford Percentage (greater than 62.5 %) than Angus. The breed, like other young breed, is growing and has many things to work on but there are some good bulls out there. I have been really pleased with my results putting them back on Hereford Cattle whether I am selling bulls, heifers or beef, still good for livestock breeding and steak eating. :)

If you want to do it the easy way, buy Hereford cows and breed to a 3/8 5/8 Sim Angus bull.

I would buy as many Hereford/Angus cross heifers or cows as I could and breed to a homozygous black Simmental bull.

We sort of do similar except we do Red Angus, Polled Hereford and blaze faced Fleck. We have some that we used Gelbvieh instead of fleck but now it's pretty much just rotating between Red Angus and Polled Hereford. Only difference we've seen between the Fleck and Gelbv has been the lack of a white face on the Gelbv but with better udders and they don;t quality grade as good.

True Grit Farms":1tld92cs said:
Bright Raven":1tld92cs said:
And all this time I thought you raise SimAngus?

I have both but I have moved toward more PB.

Just go buy yurself some of those new fangled, do everything, purebred, TNBT, darlin of the kewlcrowd, registered Black Herefords.

:hide: :lol:

Latest posts