Breeding Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

bizybeehill

Reaction score
I have four AngusX heifers I would like to AI. The first calves I will just sell at auction. I would like to get these heifers freshened with as little problem as possible. My question is should I just look for semen from an easy calving angus bull or is there another breed that would ensure easy calving? It has been suggested to me that a herford bull would give me small calves.

Depends on the Hereford bull. I wuld stick with Angus RED or blk. Heterosis doesn;t start at birth, so I would stack the deck in my favor by not crossbreeding for the first calf

bizybeehill":2csk3xyj said:
If I am looking at calving ease in a sire should i be looking for a BW EPD in the minus range ??

Yes. Also look for CED(Calving Ease Direct) numbers in the plus range. There are some Angus and Red Angus breeders on here that can be of more help with the actual numbers. Your heifers,
your environment, and when you breed them will also be factors as far as BW goes.

I have to agree with Salers being easy calvers. To me the Salers look just like Angus. You can find some very low BW Angus bulls from the semen companies that aren't very expensive. Typically, when you get a minus BW you aren't going to have the growth. I wouldn't go the minus BW. Look at the calving ease EPD. You can find some 2.0 BW bulls that have 10/11 calving ease epd's. My suggestion for bulls would be: Vermillion Nebraska, Bullseye, Danny Boy, Woodhill Confidence, Mytty in Focus, Dr J Analyst are a few.

I personally think a good foundation type beefmasters bull would work perfect on those heifers.The reason being is you would get small calves and would not have to sacrifice growth and you will have some heterosis.I think you would be pleased with theh cross if you'd like to see or have an idea of what you would likely get go to the isa cattle company web page go to the frozen genetics and click on the link link below 5502 and see the calf out of 5502 and a red angus cow.You can also go to the news column and click on past issues then go to the fall 2003 edition in the past issues and you will find everything your looking for and I know any of the foundation bulls will work on heifers because they breed all of their herd bulls to heifers first then if they have trouble out him there after he's culled if you are interedted in more info or if there was something you didn'tquite understand pm and I will do my best to point you in the right direction.

Santas and Duhram Reds":3gooa2jg said:
Don't go finding the Easiest calving ull you can find. If you want to keep any heifer calves go with a moderate calving epd. In the long run, you'll wish you had.

Bull and squirt! There are a number of very easycalving bulls that have daughters that are also ver y easy calvers. The low BW bull creating calving problems in his daughters is another of those generalritys that don;t hold water

Well I talk to a local supplier of Angus Semen in my area. Angus Semen Service In Berryville VA. I spoke with the owner and he suggested that I go with OCC Great Plains, so I did. Has anyone ever used this bull and if so how did he work out for you ??

bizybeehill":tmmqxdvs said:
Well I talk to a local supplier of Angus Semen in my area. Angus Semen Service In Berryville VA. I spoke with the owner and he suggested that I go with OCC Great Plains, so I did. Has anyone ever used this bull and if so how did he work out for you ??

Calving ease bulls with proven offspring are a good way to go. You can see what they produce but as they told us in school, Don't assume that all the stats are right on. It is easy to write in a lower number when registering offspring. So look into a bull before making a decision. Do your own research. We look at the bulls stats but also look at offspring to see what they have incomon. Also talking to a semen rep, (who wasn't a used car salesman) and see what is most poplular and what the offspring have to offer that they have seen. Gather knowledge.
I just wanted to add that calving ease bulls are not the only thing you need to keep in mind. Don't forget that you can have a calving ease bull but can change that by feeding etc.
Best of luck!
Double R

You mentioned using a Hereford bull eariler. I like the bull Feltons Legend 242. I AI'd some higher BW cows last year with him. I also used him on a hefier that dropped a 100lb calf. No claves yet but have heard nothing but good on him. Here's a link, his semen seems to be avilable from several sources and is $20 per straw.

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 82620&9=51

We have a Ribstone hereford bull for heifers. He has thrown some nice small sized calves. All the heifers had them on their own. Compared to our other bull's calves these were pretty small. Saw them yesterday and they are the same size as the rest of the calves.

Latest posts