Breeding heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

I am newer to beef cows having spent most of my time working on dairies. In the spring I teamed up with an aging neighbor to start running a beef herd. We bought 18 yearling commercial black heifers at a local sale. We gave them 6 weeks on pasture with free mineral blocks and 15-17 pounds of corn silage per head per day before adding a proven 3-4 year old bull. The bull was with them for 93 days. After removing the bull we waited 35 days and blood tested for pregnancy where we had 4open. Also should mention the body condition of the heifers is 5-5.5.
What is your guys thought on why so many didn't get bred? We're they too young? Or do you see any concerns on our management of this group to get them breeding?
Thank you for any input
Why did you choose to go to the auction barn to buy heifers?

You know, I think it really depends on your location. Here in NY, unless there was a specific herd dispersal or special beef/feeder/or cow calf sale (only a few a year) - there is no way in heck you are going to find any decent beef breeding animals. I mean, maybe 1 here or there, but not routine.

You know, I think it really depends on your location. Here in NY, unless there was a specific herd dispersal or special beef/feeder/or cow calf sale (only a few a year) - there is no way in heck you are going to find any decent beef breeding animals. I mean, maybe 1 here or there, but not routine.
Here, there are quite a few decent with decent breeding potential to be found at the stockyards, just depends on what happens to be there. Sometimes it's better than others. You have to be very selective.
When I was buying heifers to resell as breds, you have to make a quick assessment and try to gauge disposition and quality or potential quality as best you can.
I always like a situation where a seller brings a good group of steer calves, then if they have a group of heifers selling after the steers that's usually some good prospects. Sometimes just a group of heifers brought in that look like they matchup good then likely they are from the same farm and should be pretty good. Sometimes I would buy singles if they looked like they would grow into being a good cow.

Latest posts