Breeding Heifers...what would you do?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
I feel like I've let a typical for this region ( north central Texas) breeding period pass by and now I'm not sure what to do. I've seen some recent posts that speak of trouble trying to get cows to "settle" when it's as hot as it's been and fhe conditions I'm suffering today. No rain. Not much grass. How big a deal is the heat? I've got a bull coming over but I don't really want to care and feed him for naught. I think I have something to gain by letting these heifers mature but I kind of want to get this part of the process over. What would you do? Breed em or wait a little more? Thanks in advance.

breed now for the spring or wait for fall breeding your call in your area fall calving probably better

Your days are starting to get close to 100 or hotter.
The heat will affect the bull's fertility and it can affect the heifers conceiving.
How old are the heifers? Have you seen them cycling?

chippie":2vfdsozb said:
Your days are starting to get close to 100 or hotter.
The heat will affect the bull's fertility and it can affect the heifers conceiving.
How old are the heifers? Have you seen them cycling?
15-16 mOnths. Yes I've seen them cycle.

I would wait until the end of November, 18 to 20 months will probably make them better cows in the long term anyways.

denvermartinfarms":rsyf3lcm said:
I would wait until the end of November, 18 to 20 months will probably make them better cows in the long term anyways.
Thanks for your reply. I value your input. Why " the end of November". Thanks in advance.
Just curious....how old are you? I thought I saw a post that said 23? That's pretty awesome that you have been as diligent and have the command that you do at your age. Thanks again. Peace

If you wait until the end of November, you won't be expecting calves until the first of September. That is a GOOD thing. We started our Fall group out calving at the beginning of August, and after losing a couple calves to dehydration and having to constantly check for calves not under shade, we moved it back two weeks last year and shortened it to 75 days. This late summer heat can be just as brutal on calving as it is on breeding.

If you wait, you will definitely get more bred. Also, your grass is better in the winter than most other parts of Texas. A lot of people in the Hill Country fall calve because of that, and to take advantage of the early summer calf prices.