breeding heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Annie

Reaction score
Hi, I have a heifer that I AI'd on a natrual heat on the 25. Every thing went well and have been watching her to come back in, she usually shows strong signs, bellowing, alot of walking, mucas and all the bull calves ride her. Yesterday afternoon she was trying to ride this one cow who isnt in heat, she mooed a few times, but nobody showed any interest in her and just shoved her away. I figured things where just getting going and we would have standing heat this morning but nothing. It dosnt look like she had been riden no mucus and everybody is calm. What should I have done, assumed she was in standing heat last night and bred her today or what. I havent done anything, thinking maybe something would happen today but nothing and now I think I may have missed my chance, but I really didnt want to mess things up by breeding her again if she is indeed preg. what should I hav done? This is my first year AI'ing, I have heat detected in the past and had a tec come out but its just to hard to get somebody out here!

I do not know enough other than to tell you to throw her back with the bull - he'll let you know what happened. No sense in waiting too long - another month and you're out of sync with your mob.

Bez

That would be ideal but I dont have a clean-up bull yet, next year for sure!

May have been another cow coming in heat...or one of them if she was with a herd. It's not unusual for all kinds of riding to be attempted when one is coming into estrus.

Well thank you for you replys. The cow she was riding was bred 5-10, but maybe someone else is close. This is very frustrating sometimes, last year when I had the tec out I would call her and tell her who was doing what with who and at what time and she would say ok we will breed at such and such time. That didnt always work and I thought I could do better but Im not so sure!

If my calculations are right - it was 24 days since she was standing. Not impossible, but unlikely she was in heat. Sometimes something just stirs them up. I would watch for her next normal timing (do you know how many days in between her normal heat?) I always write down heats on heifers (heck - on everything) so I know when to expect them in when I'm ready to start breeding.

even the bull will follow some when it is time for nest cycle & he has no calendar, so i guess they still have some of those hormones in system

Well I feel like an idiot! I do write these things down, I guess I just dont read them and I have been looking at the "normal" range. She was standing 3-31 and I was watching her to come in starting around the 17 or so, I had given up on her cycling and was going to put a cyder in her on the 24th went down to do it inthe a.m. and she was in a strong heat. I bred her the 25th. The cycle before was 21 days. My question now is with such weak signs of heat that she was showing on thursday should I have bred her yesterday anyway? I would hate to desturb something if she is indeed bred. And I guess now I will just have to what until around the 10 or so to see if she comes back in.

annie,
If we knew it all we would be doing something other than posting on these boards. Life is a continuous learning process..for me anyway.

Assuming you have the AI procedure down ok...I would let her pass and see if she comes into estrus in the next cycle. Time is an investment sometimes we have to make. If she came into estrus she would have been rode and standing....bottom line.

Thank you Preston. Having the AI procedure down "OK" is another post completely but with this heifer I did a good job so I will just wait and see. I will watch her like a hawk to see if she bleeds and if she does I think I will sync. her. Thanks again.

Annie":212f9vrq said:
Thank you Preston. Having the AI procedure down "OK" is another post completely but with this heifer I did a good job so I will just wait and see. I will watch her like a hawk to see if she bleeds and if she does I think I will sync. her. Thanks again.
=========
Annie,
Was that a..."freudian slip"..."bleed"? :shock: We're talking cows here. :lol:

preston39":y21hea26 said:
Annie":y21hea26 said:
=========
Annie,
Was that a..."freudian slip"....? :shock: We're talking cows here. :lol:

What is freudian about Annie's post?

Cattle "bleed off" after being in heat. Many times it is so minor, you never see it. Other times, they may have a little puddle on the ground where they are laying - mostly you will see a bloody discharge wrapped around their tail.
I guess I never heard of the bleeding off when they were bred, but I do know they can go thru a "normal" standing heat & be bred.

I think they all bleed after ovulation. Anyway, I saw the heifer bleed and with all the other signs she had I figure she cycled. I put a cyder in her,and when its time to breed her and any others that come back in i will bite the bullet and call the ai tec, I cant waste any more time!

preston39":jq2mf3eg said:
Annie":jq2mf3eg said:
=========
Annie,

You edited you post and added "bleed" LOL How long have you been around cows. Yes they bleed, they have cycles just like any other mammal.

Metestrus is the period immediately following estrus and ovulation, characterized largely by the formation of corpora lutea. Ovulated eggs are picked up by the oviducts and transported to the uterine horns during metestrus. The metestrus period may be associated with post-estrual bleeding as evidenced by a small amount of bloody mucus usually found on the underside of the tail or near the pins area about 2 days after the end of estrus. This discharge is a good indication that the cow was in heat about 2 days before, and it occurs in about 50 to 60 percent of the cows showing estrus. Contrary to popular belief, this discharge has no relationship to success or failure of conception. Occasionally cows will progress from metestrus into anestrus which as a period of pseudopregnancy or a period where no estrus occurs.

Salicylic":prk1nuvo said:
preston39":prk1nuvo said:
Annie":prk1nuvo said:
=========
Annie,

You edited you post and added "bleed" LOL How long have you been around cows. Yes they bleed, they have cycles just like any other mammal.

Metestrus is the period immediately following estrus and ovulation, characterized largely by the formation of corpora lutea. Ovulated eggs are picked up by the oviducts and transported to the uterine horns during metestrus. The metestrus period may be associated with post-estrual bleeding as evidenced by a small amount of bloody mucus usually found on the underside of the tail or near the pins area about 2 days after the end of estrus. This discharge is a good indication that the cow was in heat about 2 days before, and it occurs in about 50 to 60 percent of the cows showing estrus. Contrary to popular belief, this discharge has no relationship to success or failure of conception. Occasionally cows will progress from metestrus into anestrus which as a period of pseudopregnancy or a period where no estrus occurs.

Now thats funny Saly you caught Old Preston running up and down the fence like a little fiest dog barking to feel his butt wiggle.