breeding heifer with broke leg?

Help Support CattleToday:

sigpros

Reaction score
We just got an angus heifer that had a broken leg when she was little. They cast it, but it didn't set at the proper angle. She moves around on it just fine and doesn't have any problems. She is almost a year old but is a little small for her age but we were going to try and ai her this fall. My question is do you think she would be ok to breed? We would be looking at semen from a bull that is known for calving ease, probably an angus or maybe normande. Thanks for any advice?

yes she will be ok AIing her.just make sure you breed her to a calving ease bull.an be there when she calves.an she should be ok.

1982vett":3sajscx2 said:
I wouldn't. Trade her in for a better model without the dents.
I'll drink to that. If the leg didn;t heal properly she may have a hard time carrying the extra weight of her growth and a calf.

dun":3qmasrwq said:
1982vett":3qmasrwq said:
I'll drink to that. If the leg didn;t heal properly she may have a hard time carrying the extra weight of her growth and a calf.
If you are looking for a concensus sigpros, I would throw my vote in here. It might work ~ but it might be a train wreck. Why risk it?

I will try to post a picture of her. she walks on it no problem. it healed all the way. I can't really afford to try to sell her and pay what people want for their heifers. I was going to at least try to breed her once and see what happens. I will probably try to get the ai guy out and have him look at her. thanks for opinions

Still wouldn't make a cow out of her. Feed her out, butcher her and use the money you would have spent at the meat counter to buy a good bred cow.

angie":2v0cwj3r said:
dun":2v0cwj3r said:
1982vett":2v0cwj3r said:
If you are looking for a concensus sigpros, I would throw my vote in here. It might work ~ but it might be a train wreck. Why risk it?

FWIW, I'll 4th that vote, for all the same reasons.....and then some.

Katherine

I don't know, I see no reason not to Ai her. If her leg was cast just how bad is the leg angle. Would'nt think it would be any harder on her to breed her than to fatten her out. In either case, if something happened to the leg, you could butcher her. Granted you'd be out the Ai-ing, but without seeing a picture of the leg, I'd breed her. After all, this is not a genetic defect that will be passed on. And she may have some exceptional genetics you'd want to keep. I'd breed her, but I do a lot of things others don't.

I would recommend having the vet come out and getting a few radiographs of the leg to see the extent of the injuries. And then decide.

Latest posts