Breeding for insect resistance?

Help Support CattleToday:

yuppiecowboy":xq7dorbx said:
Well, they did that for you several thousand years ago in India. You may note that insect resistant cattle tend to have droopy ears and prominent humps. May need to knit sweaters for them for winters north of College Station Texas.

In seriousness, I see Kit Pharo has been selecting for this trait. Sure would be a nice trait to have as long as it isnt at the cost of other necessary traits.

Brahman influenced cattle will grow hair. May not be as wooly but our cattle seem to do just fine here in MO

Santas and Duhram Reds":2ryyz0jr said:
yuppiecowboy":2ryyz0jr said:
Well, they did that for you several thousand years ago in India. You may note that insect resistant cattle tend to have droopy ears and prominent humps. May need to knit sweaters for them for winters north of College Station Texas.

In seriousness, I see Kit Pharo has been selecting for this trait. Sure would be a nice trait to have as long as it isnt at the cost of other necessary traits.

Brahman influenced cattle will grow hair. May not be as wooly but our cattle seem to do just fine here in MO
I have fullblood brahman cattle that grow fairly thick hair in the winter too.Kniting sweaters for cattle north of college station is just a ridiculous statement.Funny how some cattle farmers have it figured out.Others not so much.Get some 1/4 blood brangus or braford.If you dont want no part of it use your spray and cattle rubs.Brahman influence are number 1 for insect resistence.

Since in the past we have been spraying for flies and each time we spray and from year to year there seem to be fewer flies we are probably breaking the life cycle enough to lower the overall numbers. Sooo if we seclect replacement cattle with lower insect loads then the same senario of life cycle interruption should apply.

We once had a ranch that was just loaded with coccidiosis. So much so that the calves coming in in the fall would have it while still sucking. We started feeding Bovatech and broke the life cycle of the coccidiosis and the problem disappeared in a few years.

So you have a two fold attack to lower the insect count on the animals helped by lower population densities from breaking the life cycle and lowering the over all load of insects on the premises.

The more one treat against something, the more chance for resistant strains of the pest to spread at the cost of the normal pest. So it works both ways, but I think you have a point nonetheless.

ANAZAZI":3uru7ahl said:
The more one treat against something, the more chance for resistant strains of the pest to spread at the cost of the normal pest. So it works both ways, but I think you have a point nonetheless.

Will we still get resistant strains of insects if we don't treat but go the genetic selection route instead?

Are there more than one attractants for insects. Such as blood properties for blood suckers and skin or sweat properties for insects like flies.

One of the main considerations when I chose a native strain of cattle in the bushveld of Rhodesia/Zimbabwe was the resistance to parasites which infested exotics in our area. When I started the herd in NC, they retained their resistance to the local ticks flies etc, I had intended to try them in some of the more challenging environments .
Some adapted breeds on this link; http://sangacattle.webs.com/apps/links/

Idaman":1b4fcshn said:
ANAZAZI":1b4fcshn said:

Will we still get resistant strains of insects if we don't treat but go the genetic selection route instead?

I thought much about this. Honestly I do not know; but I suppose so. Nature dreads emptness, and you see life adapted to most niches available.If we use the same treatment for something, let us say ticks, for a long tme, it is like single trait selection for resistance in the tick. The treatment wipes all competition for the resistant tick, so the resistant tick strain can florish.
If we breed for tick resistant cattle, we will probably favour all traits that helps to resist ticks, not just one ( like blood immunity traits, hide traits, hair traits and so on). It would likely be more difficult for a new stronger tick to evolve in the short term?

Idaman":2ws3dufs said:
ANAZAZI":2ws3dufs said:

Yes we will! Ref: Genesis 3: vs.17, 18, 19. ... Whether we treat - or don't treat. Whether we go to Genetic selection - or DON'T go to Genetic selection! It is just a matter of degrees, and different species. But we must use the tools that GOD has provided for us - such as - Knowledge, and the ability to USE that knowledge. But God's GRACE allows us to improve our status in life IF we have FAITH, CONFIDENCE and BELIEF!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":1fdbnxw8 said:
Idaman":1fdbnxw8 said:
ANAZAZI":1fdbnxw8 said:

Yes we will! Ref: Genesis 3: vs.17, 18, 19. ... Whether we treat - or don't treat. Whether we go to Genetic selection - or DON'T go to Genetic selection! It is just a matter of degrees, and different species. But we must use the tools that GOD has provided for us - such as - Knowledge, and the ability to USE that knowledge. But God's GRACE allows us to improve our status in life IF we have FAITH, CONFIDENCE and BELIEF!

DOC HARRIS
let them have dominion over the fowl of the air,, the fish in the sea,. and the cattle

I intend to take dominion over the insects, especially the ones on my cows. The insects were also created for a purpose but not for pestering MY cows. :tiphat:

Idaman":7pqwij97 said:
I intend to take dominion over the insects, especially the ones on my cows. The insects were also created for a purpose but not for pestering MY cows. :tiphat:

Have you looked at their numbers. You might just be outgunned Idaman. :cowboy:

3waycross":rpal1esw said:
Idaman":rpal1esw said:

Have you looked at their numbers. You might just be outgunned Idaman. :cowboy:

Yah, but so far I have them on size.

Adding some longorn genetics very helpful in reducing parasites. Always fewer flys on longhorn x cattle also fewer problems with lice and tics.

jm1234":2mbin8pu said:
Adding some longorn genetics very helpful in reducing parasites. Always fewer flys on longhorn x cattle also fewer problems with lice and tics.

Maybe between the Longhorns and Indus breeds something in the DNA can be found that is also present, although in smaller numbers, in the mainstream beef breeds. If that is the case then we can select for those charisterics in a scientific way and produce seedstock that could effect the parasite levels on lots of beef herds.

I almost drove three hours down the Beeville for no reason other than I wanted to sit and watch Kit tell South Texas cattlemen that they needed short legged black bulls that have been selected for insect resistance to improve their American cows.

Third Row":32x8anzp said:
I almost drove three hours down the Beeville for no reason other than I wanted to sit and watch Kit tell South Texas cattlemen that they needed short legged black bulls that have been selected for insect resistance to improve their American cows.

Those little black cows just hike down to the pond and feed those insects to the bream. I can't honestly claim those little black cows have more insect resistance but they will improve the fishing that much is for sure!

We have not used any insecticide for lice/parasites for 10 years. We run shaggy haired cattle in a cold northern climate - central alberta - using purebred Galloways, Highlands and a few Angus crosses for grass finished beef markets. We stopped using it for a few reasons.

1) My Mom became very ill just from the smell of it. For years she was the one who poured it on, and invariably got some on her skin. Over time she couldn't go near it without getting sick.

2) When I started paying my own way taking over the ranch I noticed some cows that had been missed in the fall with Ivomec did not lose any hair over the winter.

3) Curiosity kicked the hell outta my kitty; I had to try it.

Here we are a decade later with no ill effects. The Galloways and Highlands don't seem to be bothered. Now before anyone runs out and buys a load of Galloway or Highland bulls( :lol: ) let me state my opinion - I don't believe that any single thing can be credited to insect resistance. Like anything else related to animal health, it is a whole systems approach. With the right balance of proper nutrition, good genetics and management, livestock can be expected to remain healthy AND productive without vaccinations, immunizations or antibiotics. The key for us has been the proper nutrition. We focus on our soils alot, and as they've improved, our pastures have improved, and our animals have improved.

The first couple years we saw some slick haired Angus cows that were never real thrifty, always had the reddish hair over the withers year round and such, lose hair in the fall and looked like they needed a shot of Ivomec to survive. We sold them in the first bred cow sale of the year and I'm sure they went on to be productive for someone else as long as they had that "crutch". The key is management and planning. Focus on the soil, and the forage and livestock have no excuse not to thrive. If they do not, get rid of them and SELECT for individuals that are better adapted to your eco-region. As the saying goes - a properly functioning endocrine system.

purecountry":68wm93b2 said:
We have not used any insecticide for lice/parasites for 10 years. We run shaggy haired cattle in a cold northern climate - central alberta - using purebred Galloways, Highlands and a few Angus crosses for grass finished beef markets. We stopped using it for a few reasons.

1) My Mom became very ill just from the smell of it. For years she was the one who poured it on, and invariably got some on her skin. Over time she couldn't go near it without getting sick.

2) When I started paying my own way taking over the ranch I noticed some cows that had been missed in the fall with Ivomec did not lose any hair over the winter.

3) Curiosity kicked the be nice outta my kitty; I had to try it.

Here we are a decade later with no ill effects. The Galloways and Highlands don't seem to be bothered. Now before anyone runs out and buys a load of Galloway or Highland bulls( :lol: ) let me state my opinion - I don't believe that any single thing can be credited to insect resistance. Like anything else related to animal health, it is a whole systems approach. With the right balance of proper nutrition, good genetics and management, livestock can be expected to remain healthy AND productive without vaccinations, immunizations or antibiotics. The key for us has been the proper nutrition. We focus on our soils alot, and as they've improved, our pastures have improved, and our animals have improved.

The first couple years we saw some slick haired Angus cows that were never real thrifty, always had the reddish hair over the withers year round and such, lose hair in the fall and looked like they needed a shot of Ivomec to survive. We sold them in the first bred cow sale of the year and I'm sure they went on to be productive for someone else as long as they had that "crutch". The key is management and planning. Focus on the soil, and the forage and livestock have no excuse not to thrive. If they do not, get rid of them and SELECT for individuals that are better adapted to your eco-region. As the saying goes - a properly functioning endocrine system.

Extremely well stated and thought out. I have come to many of the same conclusions, even to the getting sick. I will expand later but have to go now. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Purecountry, as you have indicated, there is no one solution, each environment requires different management approaches and different genotypes.
An holistic approach to land management goes a long way towads taking care of the soils on which all our operations ultimately depend, as you have proved in your own operation. Breeding cattle adapted to the environment is the other key, just as cold tolerant breeds are best for your environment, heat tolerant are better in the southern climates, with the temperate breeds thriving in between. Heat stressed anmals will be more susceptable to parasite infestation and disease even though in their own climatic regeon they are resistant to the local parasites. In cases where the adapted breeds do not meet optimum market requirements, a crossbreeding program either by using a straight terminal breed over the adapted base breed, or running a majority F1 herd using the terminal over the F1 damline, as has been done for so many years in the pig industry.

Latest posts