Breeding Cows after caving.

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
My fall calving cows came into estrus from 35 to 38 days following the day they delivered their calf. They were bred the day they came in. Is there a problem breeding the cows that soon after the calf? Other than moving up their calving date.

Not at all if you don't mind them moving back as rbb said. It will take a little milk away from the calf on the ground and a little more off of her back but getting a calf on the ground faster makes up for that next year.
You're doing something right... I deal with beef herds every so often where the cows really aren't even ready to cycle without help at fifty days.

Yes, your cows must be in good condition. Just be aware that the first heat may not give you high conception rates. I do breed on first heat on any cows that calved late in our season. Have mixed results - some settle - some don't - but you won't move them up if you don't try.

o years in a row - - do you end up with over 75% (>50% in year one + 50% of 50% year in year two) of the cows CALVING in the first 30 days, or do some of the ones syned the first year drop back again?

"Most" cows that calve early in your season, will always calve early. But, as I've said before - cows don't like to read the rules.
I have a specific calving "season" about 60 days. So, every year, I start breeding on the same date. Most of my early calvers will be on their 3rd heat cycle. Those that calved the end of my season, will be on their first cycle. So, any cow that doesn't settle first AI service (whether it's her 1st or 3rd cycle) ends up in the middle or later calving the following year's season. As long as they breed in the designated time frame, that's fine.

Latest posts