Breeding chisum 6175 daughters

Help Support CattleToday:

Tbrake

Reaction score
I am having a hard time deciding who to breed my spickler chisum 6175 too. Also have a handful of right answers again this year. I have both Genex and select sires salesmen close by. maternal numbers and calving ease is top priority. Good growth is welcomed, but not a necessity. Genex bulls I'm looking at Right answer, solution 0018, effective 61, cedar ridge 1v, sub zero, and Bismarck.
I have used both right answer and effective on heifers with good success. Right answers are in production and seem to be doing very well. Effective's are still on milk and looking very nice aswell. I don't know the select bulls well, but I'm open to any suggestions. Leaning towards using right answer because of the good growth and the good material numbers. Always wanted to try some Bismarck to see what all the hype is about

I would use Bismarck as well. Also look at GenEx bull, PVF Insight. Cow maker for 2nd timers and older

Checkout Deer Valley ALLIN and Werner War Party both at Select Sires and over .90 accuracy

Allin has the numbers you are looking for...

War Party's epd isn't as good as ALLIN's but out of 240 eligible daughters 45 have made pathfinder = 18.75% pathfinders
Use Allin on either heifers or cows and War Party on 2nd timers and cows

p.s.
Top Hand is a Bismark son at Select Sires 12 ced -1.1 bw .88 accuracy, sc 1.64 and HP 14.9 (top 4%)
Chism's HP is well below breed average, so Top Hand would also help out by improving daughter fertility

I didn't realize that fourtress bull was so high on ced. He is one that always caught my eye. I will check out those other bulls. I have heard much good about all in bull. I've heard of a few foot issues on bismark? Anyone on here have any first hand experience? How do they grow?

I would take a pass on cedar ridge and All In. Mate them to something that will be at least at least a slight udder improver. My Chisum daughters while they raise big calves milk a tick more than I prefer.

W.B.":k367epk0 said:
I would take a pass on cedar ridge and All In. Mate them to something that will be at least at least a slight udder improver. My Chisum daughters while they raise big calves milk a tick more than I prefer.
What area do you live in? Just curious. Around here most guys don't concider a 21 high milk. (That's what the chisum bull is rated at) a couple of the registered guys around here have a lot of cows with milk epd's in the mid 30's. That seems high to me, but I know very little. Do you have udder problems with your chisum girls?

W.B. location is listed as SD that's South Dakota (Not San Diego) for the California readers. :)
How about listing your location... helps more than just saying around here.

24 milk is breed average, perhaps the tick too much milk came from his cow's side and not Chisum.

Beef cow milk production epd is difficult to accurately measure and in my opinion might be the least accurate of the epds, just because of the difficulty in measuring. Dairy breed milk production epds are very precise measurements and even then they sometimes get it wrong too.

I am in se Kansas. Majority fescue pastures, have a few bramuda pastures rented in Oklahoma.

Yes I live in north central South Dakota. I think you are right in that milk epds don't always give us the whole story. My Chisum daughters milk heavy. More than epds say. For they most part they need tighter attachments. Teat size is not bad if their mothers were ok in that dept. They raise big calves. The oldest ones are on their fourth calf.

W.B.":z2fnz4s8 said:
Yes I live in north central South Dakota. I think you are right in that milk epds don't always give us the whole story. My Chisum daughters milk heavy. More than epds say. For they most part they need tighter attachments. Teat size is not bad if their mothers were ok in that dept. They raise big calves. The oldest ones are on their fourth calf.
Thank you very much for that info. I thought all along I would breed them to something with pretty high milk, but I will make sure to choose something lower. Bismark still has my eye, I have never seen one of his offspring in person. How are they born? Grow well? How about temperament, I see his doc. Is pretty low. my chisum girls are dog tame. How are his daughters? Also eyeing the select bull Fortress, anyone seen his daughters in production?

Tbrake":mdgyy4py said:
W.B.":mdgyy4py said:
Thank you very much for that info. I thought all along I would breed them to something with pretty high milk, but I will make sure to choose something lower. Bismark still has my eye, I have never seen one of his offspring in person. How are they born? Grow well? How about temperament, I see his doc. Is pretty low. my chisum girls are dog tame. How are his daughters? Also eyeing the select bull Fortress, anyone seen his daughters in production?
Anyone have any thoughts on bismark?

Lots of comments have been posted on this forum over the years regarding SAV Bismarck, including some from me, and you could see some of them just by searching his name. I like Bismarck daughters. Probably the only one I have raised that I haven't liked is a 15-month-old one I have right now. She's very gentle, but just isn't developing like I had hoped. May end up culling her, especially if she missed on her AI breeding. But otherwise, have been very happy with the Bismarck calves and the buyers of my Bismarck heifers have been happy as well. They are docile, have good udders and mature into nice cows at 3 and 4 years of age. Sometimes they are "late bloomers," but I would recommend him as a sire based on my small herd and sample size experience.

After much research I think Connelly comrade 1385 would mate well with them. Anyone have calves out of him? How are the heifers? Do the steers grow decent? My rep talked me out of Bismarck, he is not a fan at all.

Tbrake":30my2bkc said:
After much research I think Connelly comrade 1385 would mate well with them. Anyone have calves out of him? How are the heifers? Do the steers grow decent? My rep talked me out of Bismarck, he is not a fan at all.
Why did he not like Bismarck? I've never used him, but have used one of his sons, Bruiser at ABS, and have been pleased with the results.

Latest posts