Breeding capacity of 2year old bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

Devin

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I need a little advise regarding how many cows a three year old bull (Brangus) could service within a 90 day period. I turned him out last year when he was two with four heifers 30 days ahead of my cows. The heifers all calved right on time. I then turned him out on 28 cows. He was in excellent condition when he went in and looked pretty good coming out of the season. It appears that I have five open cows now at calving time. I should say that 75% of the calves that were born out of the 28 cows came within 60 days. The average age of the group of 28cows is probably about 8 years old (if not older). Do you think the open cows are due to cows age or the two year old bull? The cows were bred on trace minerals and grass/clover pasture. They were dewormed prior to turn out with the bull. The reason I'm asking is that I plan on breeding 37 cows/heifers this year. Do you think I need two bulls or would the 3 year old Brangus do the job. Thanks alot!
Devin

First, I would have the fertility tested before you turn him out this year.
He is probaly OK, but why take a chance on a missed calf crop?
I would think that the open cows is their problem. I would send them down the road. If you turn the bull out with the heifers 30 days prior to turning out with the cows, abd if the bull is fertile with a good semen count he should be able to handle this amt. of females. As a 3 yr old he should be in his prime.

i agree with LA. its probably the fault of the cows for not breeding, otherwise you'd have more open. were these cows in good condition last year at calving time? were any of them young cows, on their second or third calves. some cows are old at 8, some cows are young at 8.

As far as the bull goes it doesnt sound like there is a problem there. i guess it wouldnt hurt to make sure. But a bull that age should have no problem servicing 35-45 cows, maybe more depending on libido.

Rule of thumb 24 month old bull can service 24/25 cows 36 months and older 35/40 with no problem. I would suspect the cows, sometimes you can get a lazy bull also.

Some bulls can cover a lot more cows than others. Lack of high quality semen has never been a limitation with most bulls. It usually is libido and atheleticism. Some bulls weighing 2700# can dog trot from cow. Some little bulls paddle foot around behind the herd. It depends on the animal.

University of Florida in their Bull Test program says 1 cow per month of age. 12 months old 12 cows. up to 30/35 for a three year or older.

paul swisher":3qj6i7ew said:
University of Florida in their Bull Test program says 1 cow per month of age. 12 months old 12 cows. up to 30/35 for a three year or older.

I think much of the answer lies in the climate, the breed of bull, and the terrain/size of pasture.

In a relatively small pasture (by western standards) we expect our 14 month old Murray Grey bulls to cover 35 cows. And they do the job.

The further a bull has to travel to water and feed, the fewer cows he can be expected to cover. And, some breeds mature later than others.

If my yearling bull could only be expected to cover 12 cows, I'd send him down the road in a hurry!

paul swisher":10fqe90n said:

i've had 5 yearling bulls on 160 cows with 97% conception rate. UNL says the same but for you who believe all this university crap god help you.

BP

Latest posts