Breeding bull with broken penis

Help Support CattleToday:

sunnyblueskies

Reaction score
Just wanting some opinions, stories you've experienced. The Vet is closed today and I couldn't get their input.
Here we go. 4 year old purebred shorthorn bull. The bulls have been turned in with the cows about a week ago. Yesterday I noticed a little bit of a swelling of his sheath, but wasn't sure if I was 'seeing things' or if it was definitely swollen. Today I checked again and yes the bulls sheath is definitely swollen. He doesn't act sick, still checks cows, eats, drinks and apparently still can pee from what I've seen. But he doesn't seem to be able to extend his 'tool' out of the sheath more then an inch or two.

Is that it for that bull? How are they usually treated? What is the progression of this?

Never had a bull with this, so it's new territory for me.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0499.jpg
    IMG_0499.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 98
I have have had bulls with broken penises in the past. They all were protruding from the sheath, swollen, and would not retract fully. Perhaps the condition can present differently depending on circumstances.

Effin bulls.
Yeah I wanted to talk to the vet, that was before my post here. But they are having some kind of training day today and are not available.

I'm not so much worried about not having enough bull power for the herd that he is with, just sucks we only got 2 or 3 seasons out of him. Suppose this is the 3rd season.

Your bull likely will heal but he needs to be removed from the cows to accomplish healing. Dont expect anything this breeding season though. What is your current bull to cow ratio without him?

We have found that those that have to be treated, you will think they are fine, only to find the same thing will happen next breeding season. I'd take him to the sale and never look back.
Mr FH says on many things, "your first loss is the easiest to take." He's been right way more than he's been wrong.

Good luck!

I would get it checked by the vet to confirm the diagnosis. At this stage you are just guessing but it doesn't look good, any swelling around that area during breeding is a bit of a disincentive for him.

Ken

I would have a vet check it. We have a 7 y/o bull that got an infection in his when he was a 4 y/o. Took him to the vet and he has been fine since. Looked very similar to your bull. In our case he got it from letting it out in long grass. The vet said they get lacerations and then an infection in it.

Your bull likely will heal but he needs to be removed from the cows to accomplish healing. Dont expect anything this breeding season though. What is your current bull to cow ratio without him?
What W.B. Said....with lots of rest and some protein feed. He looks a bit underweight. Either invest food and trust in him to heal or take him to the sale barn. If he's older than 6 or 7 years...I'd take him to the sale barn....unless i owed him for all the work he put in....his past value.

Unfortunately I'd say cash him in and used the money to help replace him next yr.
Other was your gambling a whole years worth of feed, time, treatment just to more than likely have him not pass a Breeding soundness exam next yr.

We have found that those that have to be treated, you will think they are fine, only to find the same thing will happen next breeding season. I'd take him to the sale and never look back.
Mr FH says on many things, "your first loss is the easiest to take." He's been right way more than he's been wrong.

Good luck!
Mr. FH is a wise man. I've learned that lesson the hard way.

About 80:4 with him. 80:3 now without him. I'm ok with that. Our breeding season is 90 days.

With the per lb price bulls are bringing, haul him and get you another. If you used him 2-3 seasons and kept any heifers from him you were getting close to buying a new bull anyway. We lost our good heifer bull last year to a bad back hoof . He brought almost enough to pay for his replacement . And we still have daughters from him .

With the per lb price bulls are bringing, haul him and get you another. If you used him 2-3 seasons and kept any heifers from him you were getting close to buying a new bull anyway. We lost our good heifer bull last year to a bad back hoof . He brought almost enough to pay for his replacement . And we still have daughters from him .
Haul him in while he is swollen up you mean?

Latest posts