breeding bull age

Help Support CattleToday:

cornfarmer48

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a gelbvieh bull. what would be the minimum age for a young bull to breed 8 head of cattle, thanks

cornfarmer48":18ii8j0w said:
I am thinking of buying a gelbvieh bull. what would be the minimum age for a young bull to breed 8 head of cattle, thanks

Are you looking at a bull that has had a BSE or just sumthin out of somebodys pasture that you are going to take a chance on as far as his ability to breed at all?

Very good point. One of the reasons I want them 13 months is so I can have them BSE checked. My vet wants them to be that age to be sure and get a true test.

id get a 16 to 18 months old bull.an have a BSE examine done.an if he is 70 or under turn him down.

cornfarmer48":2l8o2vev said:
He is/should be capable of breeding at 12 months of age. Rule of thumb is 1 cow per month of age. Most due, however, wait till bull is 18 months old for breeding. Shouldn't have a problem with only 8 females. BSE info the others have given still applies
Valerie

If you only have 8 cows to breed, why not rent a bull or A-I and save a bunch of money? Maybe you're getting a good buy on a bull, but even at, for instance $1800 for a bull, it's costing over $200.00 per cow, plus the bulls upkeep. Seems to me thats pretty expensive calves. But I don't know all the circumstances either.

Latest posts