breeding box or chute

Help Support CattleToday:

simcross

Reaction score
Do you use a breeding box, chute or just an alley way when AI'ing cows

Thanks

We just put them in the alley leading to the headgate but do not usually catch the head...put a post behind them and breed them.

The first year, we tried to AI in the squeeze chute and that was a disaster. We built a breeding box for about $300 and for AI, that has been the best money we've spent. They stand so much calmer. We never really tried in the alley, but that might have been just as good.

Ive use just a head gate or chute and not squzzed. Guy brought over a nice box one year. It worked alright. Depending on your #'s and etc. IDK if Id go with a box or not. Lots and lots to do it might pay in efficiency and a better sticking rate. For $300 it wouldn't be too bad of a deal.

What ever it takes to keep the cow at ease.
A chute with another cow in front of them works sometimes.
A dark box works for others.
Some, you only need a halter and lead rope.
I believe that more than anything it is a mater of training the cow to your system and that pain will not be inflected. For example if you try and AI a heifer in a squeeze where it was dehorned you may not get very good results. But if you take calves and let them stand in a chute for a while from time to time while growing up they are more apt to take when AI'd.

Guess Ive never had nothing in front of them. I do pick my AI's on temperment, and yes Im going to try and get a use my buddies breeding box again. I guess you have weigh your options. To get 2-3% more stuck is it worth the expence of a box? Of course I have heard of guys getting a broken arm while inside and then have a heck of a mess.

Latest posts