Breeding barn

Help Support CattleToday:

Rniemann

Reaction score
I have never seen or used what I believe is commonly referred to as a "breeding barn" for AI. We have always just used our head gate. Curious as to how you do it and If the breeding barn is something worth the time to rent or money to buy? Thanks

We used the breeding barn once. It was nice, but if your cattle are calm and you have a decent facility you do not need it.

The one we used was two stall. Basically, they dropped it off and we set our panels up to it. It was a two stall, and the cows walk in, and a bar drops behind them. They sit there, in the dark, quiet while you load you straws in the room inside the box. Walk behind the cows (two are in there, side by side), breed them, then open the front door with a pull of the string and they walk out calmly. Very quiet and nice to use, and if you did not have a good dark working facility it is worth the rent. I think the extension charged us $20 to use it for the day.

Never seen one. Mine are AI'd outside. What exactly is the purpose for a special barn? Darkness? Calmness? Sounds kind of zen. :)

Fire Sweep Ranch":3vsqakhd said:
We used the breeding barn once. It was nice, but if your cattle are calm and you have a decent facility you do not need it.
What do you consider a "decent facility"? (Apologies for the newbie question)

Latest posts