breeding back?

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
I'm not really sure whether this goes here or in "Health", but here's the question anyway.

Horses have what I've heard called a "foal heat" - they'll come into heat a week after foaling. Everything I've heard implies cows do not do the same thing, and it takes at least 30 days after calving before they come into heat again. True?

I have also found that to be true. Also remember a horses gestation is about 11 months where cows run about 9 months, so you may not need to breed back so early. Also you have the ability to control the amount of times a stallioin breeds a mare, you don't have that ability if you are going to use a bull on a cow (live cover), the bull may breed the cow several times a day. This board has told me in the past, "the cow may not have had time to heal from calving in 30 days". Not saying it can't be done.

Alan

The operative word is "some" cows will cycle as early as a week to 10 days after calving. We've bred a couple on that heat when we tried moving them up closer to our regular calving season, very few settled to that heat. It then seemed like they had heats but not particularly strong until about 30-45 days after calving.

dun

We've had a Brahman cross cow have a calf in the middle of January and pasture breed back to have a calf in late September (9months). The only thing was,it took her till this November to have her next one( 14 months) :?: She is getting up in years though.

Latest posts