breeding back Herefords or any breed

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I found some nice young Hereford cows that all calved in early Feb. They guy is selling them with calf at side and says they could be bred back. Isn't that just too short a of a time window to be sure they are bred back? I guess blood test would tell?

That's cutting it pretty close even if they all the calved on 2-1-2011

If cows are in good condition they can start to come into heat around 45 days after calving. But most of the time cows won't begin to cycle until somewhere around 60 days.

Probably too quick but the seller could be advertising them that way to just be honest and let you know the possibility they already rebred.

Probably too quick but the seller could be advertising them that way to just be honest and let you know the possibility they already rebred.
Totally agree, if you wanted to be absolutely sure you could just give them a shot of Lutalyse. As long as you keep em away from a bull from the time you shoot em to the time you're ready to breed, you should be good to go.

paintedwolfranch":7g3fjv3f said:
Totally agree, if you wanted to be absolutely sure you could just give them a shot of Lutalyse. As long as you keep em away from a bull from the time you shoot em to the time you're ready to breed, you should be good to go.
Can you explain to me how what your speaking of works? Thanks in advance.

the seller is simply saying they started calving in feb.an are exposed to the bulls an could be 3 in 1s.the best way to know is to have them palpated.that way you know if any might be bred or if they are open.i would not lute the cows because you could ruin the cows.

tncattle":35xj5ucn said:
I found some nice young Hereford cows that all calved in early Feb. They guy is selling them with calf at side and says they could be bred back. Isn't that just too short a of a time window to be sure they are bred back? I guess blood test would tell?

If the bull was with them, the could be bred back. If the bull was with them, it's safer to say they could be bred than guarantee they're not bred. In our experience, a well nourished cow will breed back by 6 weeks post-partum.
Blood test can't be used until 90 days post-partum.

cbcr":yn02k5mc said:
If cows are in good condition they can start to come into heat around 45 days after calving. But most of the time cows won't begin to cycle until somewhere around 60 days.
a cow should come start cycling 21-28 days after calving and can breed at that time
I have alot of cows that are bred 45 days after calving and I have had some UH OHs that the cows bred 21 days after calving
like last yr cow wasn't supposed to be bred for fall calving and calved Sept 3rd she was in the bull pen because she was with some cows I bred for spring and I had just left them after preg checking them because they were out of the way
this yr the cow calved on July 7th I beleive it might of been the 5th so she bred 21 days after calving

Looked at the Lutalyse label instructions.

The only thing it says is that if givien to a pregnant cow may cause abortion, (which is what one would want to do if he didn't want the cows bred). However, it also says that depending on the stage of the gestation amount of dosage required may vary. And in another part recommends not to give to animals over 100 days pregnant.

From past experiences, if an animal is pregnant and aborts, on occasion could be some retainage of the placenta.

Lutalyse is a good product, but as with anything there is that occasional risk, and one should use his own judgement.

cbcr":1363emvi said:
Looked at the Lutalyse label instructions.

The only thing it says is that if givien to a pregnant cow may cause abortion, (which is what one would want to do if he didn't want the cows bred). However, it also says that depending on the stage of the gestation amount of dosage required may vary. And in another part recommends not to give to animals over 100 days pregnant.

From past experiences, if an animal is pregnant and aborts, on occasion could be some retainage of the placenta.

Lutalyse is a good product, but as with anything there is that occasional risk, and one should use his own judgement.
Being bred that short there isn't much placenta period...not much calf either...less than the size of a bumblebee.

cbcr":2qqnq2bl said:
texasbred,

I agree, but I think that the things I mentioned from the lutalyse label is what bigbull38 may have been referring to.
Only warning is that you MAY have an abortion IF you give it to a pregnant cow. This whole thread was about whether the cattle is even bred at this point...at most...30 days. Surely Bigbull read that. Worst think that might happen to the cow is an infected injection site.

Latest posts