Breeding at first heat

Help Support CattleToday:

cowkeeper":hmt43dqt said:
Is it common to breed cows at first heat after calving? If not, why not? ck

I think it's fairly common. Most people use a bull. They turn him out according to when they want the calves to be born and he's going to breed the cow whenever he can, first heat or otherwise.

We AI all of our cattle. We breed on the first heat if the calf will fall in our calving window (Jan-Feb).

Frankie":2v43h754 said:
cowkeeper":2v43h754 said:
Is it common to breed cows at first heat after calving? If not, why not? ck

I think it's fairly common. Most people use a bull. They turn him out according to when they want the calves to be born and he's going to breed the cow whenever he can, first heat or otherwise.

We AI all of our cattle. We breed on the first heat if the calf will fall in our calving window (Jan-Feb).

We - like Frankie - tend to target the delivery dates of the calves - that determines our breeding schedule.

I might want to wait a month to time the delivery at our place.

So Mr. / Mrs. / Ms. Cowkeeper - if timing is not important - then breed away.

Bez+

Thanks for the timely replies. Just what I needed to know, as cow is coming in heat now, having calved fifteen days ago. I need to move her to an earlier calving, but didnt want to do it, if there was any particular risk in doing so. (ms) cowkeeper :)

Through the years we've bred a number of cows on thir calving, like you trying to move them up, the majority settled to that service.

The first heat after calving is a very important heat as that helps the cow "clean up" after calving ;that is why I usually like them to have at least one heat..However like others have stated it is done and with success so if it is just the one I would say go ahead ,and like what was stated as well by RBB she will still be ahead if she settles on her next heat as well.

Latest posts