Breeding and Color Combination

Help Support CattleToday:

la4angus

Reaction score
OK Guys
If I breed a 1/2 blood Red Simmental X Red Angus cow to a Reg. Blk. Angus
Angus bull what is the color combination would the offspring be and what %

OK, LA this is the best I can do:

I can predict with 100% certainty.......

..........that txag is the best person to help you out with this! So you'll just have to wait!

If the bull is homozygous black, none red carrier, 100% of the calves will be black. But they will all be heterozygous black. The real fun combinations start when you breed those heterozygous calves to a red animal.

dun

la4angus":1qvrcae7 said:
OK Guys

All of the calves will be black........... unless the Reg angus bull has a heterozygous red gene.

BLACKPOWER":1w4dvdxc said:
la4angus":1w4dvdxc said:
OK Guys

All of the calves will be black........... unless the Reg angus bull has a heterozygous red gene.

All right boys I thought so to unless my neighbors papers are lying on his
homozygous black Limo. All the calves have been balck until this red one showed up this year. Limo x with a beefemaster got a red calf. This is the only red calf that he has ever gotten from this bull. He has owned both the cow and bull for several years no other cattle nearby. The cow has thrown black calves for the last two years off the same bull.

Campground Cattle":2r0fvfxe said:
BLACKPOWER":2r0fvfxe said:
la4angus":2r0fvfxe said:
OK Guys

homozygous black Limo. All the calves have been balck until this red one showed up this year. Limo x with a beefemaster got a red calf. This is the only red calf that he has ever gotten from this bull. He has owned both the cow and bull for several years no other cattle nearby. The cow has thrown black calves for the last two years off the same bull.
Your neighbors papers are lying or the neighbor bull visited.

ollie":12gbp74v said:
Campground Cattle":12gbp74v said:
BLACKPOWER":12gbp74v said:
la4angus":12gbp74v said:
OK Guys

Your neighbors papers are lying or the neighbor bull visited.

Has to be his papers no other bull in the area but my Hereford. Solid blood red calf.

maybe the cows black yearling bull bred her? that would explain the red. or any early maturing bull calf in the herd...

Please correct me if I am wrong. The bull is registered black angus. That being said...The calf should be not only black but also polled.

Reg black angus are supposed to be homo polled and homo black right?
That would leave the calf hetero polled and hetero black.

Beefy":30vf8yl7 said:
maybe the cows black yearling bull bred her? that would explain the red. or any early maturing bull calf in the herd...

Beefy your a genius I hualed her 8 month old bull calf to the sale barn last year for him. Thanks theres been a lotta scratchin goin on around here over this one.

certherfbeef":2befanew said:
Please correct me if I am wrong. The bull is registered black angus. That being said...The calf should be not only black but also polled.

i had several horned calves last year from an angus bull out of horned cows........to many chianian genes , i guess

certherfbeef":83u0qupp said:

Not all reg. black Angus are homo black. That's where the red carrier part comes in. But the papers are supposed to indicate a red carrier.

dun

All black Angus bull are homo black and homo polled so you should get black polled calves..... unless there is something else in his bloodline. Wait what was I thinking stuff like that never happens in the registered cattle world.

Campground

If that cow waited long enough to breed for her own calf to breed her shouldn't she have been hauled with her calf to the sale barn? Why didn't the big bull breed her? Just a thought.

sidney411":1vyn4b12 said:
Campground

If that cow waited long enough to breed for her own calf to breed her shouldn't she have been hauled with her calf to the sale barn? Why didn't the big bull breed her? Just a thought.

Sid I cant speak for my neighbor, I think he holds on some calves to long. He runs his bull year round and doesn't like hualing 2 or 3 to the sale barn. For me that doesn't seem to be a good reason when we havea sale arn 7 miles from us. Not dogging any bodys breed but I am not impressed with this black Limo, seems to me he always in the Tank or standing at the fence trying to pick a fight with my bull. And I don't know her calf breed her its the only thing that makes since, unless the bull isn't homo black. I am not familar with beefmasters which the cow is. I know you better be careful with Herefords or you can end up with surprises at a very early age. My neighbor has red limos to might have been one of there calves also I just don't know. It has to have been from a bull with a red recessive gene.

I have a black cow that has a red calf every year no matter what she is bred to.
The last two years she has been bred to a reg. black angus bull.

Hillbilly

hillbilly":33a1g17f said:
I have a black cow that has a red calf every year no matter what she is bred to.
The last two years she has been bred to a reg. black angus bull.

Hillbilly
Many Registered Black Angus bulls carry the red gene. If you will look at the pedigrees of many Reg. Red Angus animals you will see a Reg. Black Angus bull or cow in the pedigree; many times right up close.

Latest posts