Breeding and calving season

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
If you don;t know their calving date (calves DOB) how can you know their "breedback time"?

SirLoin2":y9r2w1mc said:
For me this has proven to be a very useful tool to increasing profit while reducing my breeding/calving time. But then again no system is perfect and breeding/calving season will still stretch out over time due to other variables, such as calving problems, afterbirth discharge time, bull performance etc etc.

SL
the breeding and calving season won't spread out if you don't let it if my cows can't breed in a 60-70 day breeding season they get culled no 2 ways about it

Angus Cowman":36a8dmfo said:
SirLoin2":36a8dmfo said:
For me this has proven to be a very useful tool to increasing profit while reducing my breeding/calving time. But then again no system is perfect and breeding/calving season will still stretch out over time due to other variables, such as calving problems, afterbirth discharge time, bull performance etc etc.

SL
the breeding and calving season won't spread out if you don't let it if my cows can't breed in a 60-70 day breeding season they get culled no 2 ways about it

We use 45 days, that's 2 bites at the apple.

That is why I keep meticulous dob data on every animal ,,it gives me something to compare year to year.. The bull may go in for 45 days but I want to know if my first cow/heifer to calve last year is maintaining her fertility. If she is a month or so behind from the previous year I can go through records and possibly link it back to breeding problems (like extremely hard labor or twins ) and when she is preg check my vet can give me an internal idea of what is going on with her and I will be able to make a more definitive decision as to keep or cull.

JMO...

Latest posts