Breeding Age

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
I have a heifer (born 5/28/12). She is the youngest of 4 replacement heifers that I have going into the herd this year. Would she be too young to breed in May when I plan to breed the other 3. She is big. She is 8 months old now and is probably 750 poind or so. She is the one with the yellow ear tag, white spot on forehead.
zy7ng7.jpg

I would think so. She may not start cycling till July any way. On the other hand she might breed right away. Either way I think she is big enough.

I like my heifers to be 15 months and at least 800lbs. Both criteria must be met for me. This has always worked well for me in the past and this is what I generally read as accetable guidelines. To each his own though.

Around my place she would be too young at that age. I would give her another couple months at least.

i like 15 months or close to it i dont get near as concerned with weight as age for me.

If she's truly 750# at 8 mos, I'd have no issue breeding her at 12 mos, if she's cycling. Plenty big enough - and % of mature weight is more important than actual age.

Around here, most of my Simmental-sired heifers are cycling at 8 mos; the Angus-sired heifers rarely by 14.

Latest posts