BREEDING AGE

Help Support CattleToday:

I have never had anything to do with any child's project so IF you'll want to feed 10 pounds of grain a day that's fine; but all Chester is trying to do is develop replacement heifers. To get the recommended 1.5 lbs of gain a day all he needs is 11 pounds of hay (I would just let them have hay free choice) and 3.7 pounds a day of mixed ration a day (using North Dakota's recommended diet for a 400 pound replacement heifer).

Also depends on what breed they are, different breeds mature at different weights, for breeding. What the commercial pen of three heifers is, it's raising replacements, that are confirmed bred before show date. They aren't your normal show calf, they are raised to be producers. Preferrably pulled from your own pasture..or purchased from a local ranch. 10# of grain is not alot when you compare it to the amount of feed you'd be feeding if you bought the show mixes from the feed store. Those rations get up to 20 lbs a day and no where near the gain we got from this mix. The heifers were by no means fat. I'm lookin forward to hearing from the man that bought them, since they should be calving this month.

Here's something that might be helpful

Table 1. Estimates for heifers reaching puberty at various weights

Heifers Reaching Puberty
Breed 70% in heat 90% in heat
lb
Angus 600 650
Brahman 725 750
Brangus 650 700
Charolais 750 775
Hereford 650 700
Santa Gertrudis 725 750
Shorthorn 600 650
Simmental 750 775

YES JEANNE I AM STILL HERE. THE ONLY TIME I AM ABLE TO CHECK IN IS AT WORK, SO YOU KNOW HOW THAT GOES. AS FOR THE WEIGHT WE BOUGHT 8 TOTAL (SOME BULLS,SOME HEIFERS) WHEN WE WEIGHED THEM THEY AVERAGED 408 AND ARE ALL ABOUT THE SAME SIZE. AS FAR A WHEN THEY WERE BORN THE GUY I GOT THEM FROM IS CHECKING HIS RECORDS AND WILL BE GIVING ME A CALL. I AM NOT SURE EXACTLY HOW OLD THEY ARE BUT I WILL BE FINDING OUT. ALSO THEY ARE BOTH 100% ANGUS.