Breeding age for bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

if he semen tests good id say yes.but 12 months is a tad young tobe breeding cows.at 15 or 16 months old.he would be ready to breed them.

novaman":w2k4lh6z said:
I would say it mostly depends if he can reach.

They almost always find a way to reach. My yearling Angus bull bred a cow last year that looked like he would need a strp ladder to reach her. In fact I think he bred her first.

KenB":2e2i4bhg said:
Would a one year old Hereford bull be old enough to breed a couple of cows?

If he's a well developed bull, he can probably breed a couple of cows. But you need to watch him to be sure. Otherwise you might come up with open cows.

Absolutely possible. Growin up I had some Holstein bull calves that I bottle fed that I never cut. Being preoccupied with being a kid, I didn't get around to sellin them so my dad turned em out on grass with his commercial cows. He was certain these 11month old 'calves' weren't capable of breeding. Low and behold, next spring there were 2 black/white spotted calves.

Holstein and jersey both mature very early. Not unusual for them to be vertile and "able" at a very young age...same for the heifers cycling at a young age.

12 month old bulls are good for breeding. Just bought a 12 month old bull and gonna use him on 10 cows. If the bull is 12 months only breed 12 cows, 15 months to 15 cows until he's atleast 20 months or so. You can get a whole extra breeding season out of the bull as long as you take care of him.

if you what hiefers that calf at 24 mt. use a bull that will bred at15 mts.

Latest posts