Breeding age for bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

haase

Reaction score
planning on going to the Wis state sale next weekend, most of the bulls at the sale are yearling bulls with birthdates in march and april. I know it goes the month of bulls age with the number of cows and some people wont use a yearling bull on cows. Would it be ok to use a yearling bull on 10 limi cows? we usually put a bull in in the first part of June so the bulls age would be 14 or 15 months old.

We sell yearling bulls every year for people doing exactly that. Some customers have claimed breeding as many as 20. Others have said the "calves were a little spread out" even on 10. A yearling is more hit and miss than a 2 year old, but should be able to do the job.

I'm not trying to steal this post but would the breed of the bull make a difference?

I have used yearling bulls on 25-30 cows and it worked out for us.I bought a yearling bull from olhde a few years ago he bred 24 cows and gained weight,of course he wasn't butter ball fat when I turned him out.It seems that the way bulls are developed has a lot to do with how many cows they can service.

I had a customer buy a bull from me. He used him at 16 months of age on 43 head! he guy called and complained that he had 3 opens . I took the bull back and gave him his money back also .

crapp that guy knocked the bull out.he quit breeding when they come in heat.an he was shooting blanks.

I wasn't to happy. The bull was shot!! But you know the guy came back 2 years later because he was very happy withthe calves he got. I RAISED!! the price of my bulls ( just on him ) so that way he would either pay ( because I knew what was coming) or go somewhere else . HE PAID!! and he has bought from us since with no problems .

A yearling angus bull bred 27 heifers in 30 days for us last July. There were 10 opens. I would bet they didn't cycle. This bull fleshed well and looked excellent in August. He even had a touch of footrot which was treated for and recovered from quickly. All bulls were definately not created equal.

Latest posts