breeding after implant

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I implanted all of our calves with synovex in late November. I have kept back a couple of real nice heifers, that now weigh #770. Will it be possible to breed them in late May, since the implant will be out of their system? The vet says "well..... you're not supposed to...." no real reason why, no yes, no no? Anyone done this? Advice?

Thanks!

Dee":y7rak77l said:
I implanted all of our calves with synovex in late November. I have kept back a couple of real nice heifers, that now weigh #770. Will it be possible to breed them in late May, since the implant will be out of their system? The vet says "well..... you're not supposed to...." no real reason why, no yes, no no? Anyone done this? Advice?

Thanks!

which implant did you use? if it was one approved for heifers there shouldn't be a problem.

I'll bite....what does implant mean? Is it used like injections for diseases or for breeding purposes? I've seen this posted several times and was hoping someone would explain it in their responses, but no such luck so far.

Never implanted heifers and then kept them. One problem you may have would be if the implant did not totally dissolve.

Eric, the implant amounts to some small pellets (to promote lean growth) that are placed with a needle from an implant gun under the skin in the ears. Unforunately, sometimes the implant is incorrectly placed in the cartilage of the ear. Then it does not dissolve correctly over time. They have found some implants placed incorrectly never even dissolved.

Latest posts