Breeding Advice

Help Support CattleToday:

ShotgunFreddy

Reaction score
We have a pure Charolais heifer, about 15 months old, who got in heat for the first time yesterday. Our friends have told us to look for a small bull to throw on her so she won't have problems giving birth. What do y'all think we should do? I wanted to find Charolais bull for her but now it doesn't seem like the best idea in the world. She was about 80lbs when she was born.

Can you post a picture? Do you know how much she weighs?
She is quite older for having her first heat. Generally heats are based on weight. She may be small for her age/breed.
I have Simmental, which is generally earlier maturing than Charolais, but they are also Continentals. Probably 95% of my heifers have a 17 to 19 day cycle (usually 18 days on the nose).
AI would be a good choice for you, if you are able to observe her. You can paint her tail head (paint or crayon) or use stick on heat detectors to help you. But, if that will be your choice, you need to line up someone to breed her & find out what they have available to use to breed to her.

5S Cattle":288c92jw said:
Chars usually cycle that late?
NO, and there is a big difference between 1st heat and 1st Observed heat.
Just because a person is not paying attention or is unskilled in detecting heat does not mean she would not already be
3 months pg if she had been penned with a bull.

True Grit Farms":3rd2h4fd said:
MtnCows93":3rd2h4fd said:
unless that heifer is unusually small any bull you choose should be fine
Wrong answer, that's why there's EPD's in each breed.
your right i should have said any breed of GOOD bull, i know theres plenty of big headed high birthweight cow killers out there

Silver":w9uv93kw said:
True Grit Farms":w9uv93kw said:
MtnCows93":w9uv93kw said:

I've never even looked at an EPD :dunce:
You guy's definitely do it different than us in the south. I was gone for 5 days a few weeks ago and found 2 dead calves when i got home. I just got home yesterday and found 3 new borns. I need bulls with good calving EPD's.
I just put the EPD calving thing out there because there's folks that read things and think it's gospel.

True Grit Farms":3hthruf6 said:
Silver":3hthruf6 said:
True Grit Farms":3hthruf6 said:

You guy's definitely do it different than us in the south. I was gone for 5 days a few weeks ago and found 2 dead calves when i got home. I just got home yesterday and found 3 new borns. I need bulls with good calving EPD's.
I just put the EPD calving thing out there because there's folks that read things and think it's gospel.

Oh there's lots of folks up here that live and die by the EPD, lots of folks AI so it becomes rather necessary in that case I think. It's a fine tool I'm sure, if it works for folks to use it then how could it be wrong?

Silver":39dm4ajq said:
True Grit Farms":39dm4ajq said:
Silver":39dm4ajq said:

Oh there's lots of folks up here that live and die by the EPD, lots of folks AI so it becomes rather necessary in that case I think. It's a fine tool I'm sure, if it works for folks to use it then how could it be wrong?
When you add people and money, you add problems.

My heifers are pelvic measured and bred to a low birthweight calving ease bull. But that's no guarantee! Also depends on their nutrition, lineage, age, weight, time of year, whether it's a bull calf, etc. And there's always one that throws a whopper; some of 'em just grow big calves. That said, the majority of my heifers calve just fine and why would I risk such an investment without thoroughly researching the bull?

To the OP: a small bull doesn't mean calving ease. And while I've never AI'd, if you only have the one heifer I agree that would most likely be your best option.

Silver":3ntrxtvk said:
True Grit Farms":3ntrxtvk said:
MtnCows93":3ntrxtvk said:

Same here. I use actuals and only keep the papers with the inflated numbers if I feel mother nature might call and I'll need to stop by the road on the way home.

True Grit Farms":n11pcgzw said:
Silver":n11pcgzw said:
True Grit Farms":n11pcgzw said:

TG I agree that the BW and CE of a potential sire needs to be considered. I have seen a few wrecks when following the numbers. I have had less when using actual BW and the way a bull is built and how his calves are built when born. We used a bull that even the breeder said wasn't a heifer bull for 4 years and never pulled a calf sired by him. I still feel if a person has the experience the using actual weights along with visual of the bull and considering the type of calves his sire sires works well. For those with less experience then numbers are better than using nothing.

Latest posts