Breeders

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best Hereford rancher in Texas is DeShazer Cattle Co. in Hearne.

I wouldn't day they have the best Herfords but I have seen some nice ones come off of their place.

CopeMan":ewarmqii said:
. But who is big in the Hereford , Charolais , Simmental and Gelbvieh?

The question is who is big.in Hereford, Charolais, Simmental, and Gelbveih

Are you asking who is the big in "numbers owned or big in reputatation. Are you maybe asking biggest in numbers or reputation.
Maybe who has the best cattle of these breeds regardless of P R.

la4angus":xtoyb3r3 said:
CopeMan":xtoyb3r3 said:
. But who is big in the Hereford , Charolais , Simmental and Gelbvieh?

The question is who is big.in Hereford, Charolais, Simmental, and Gelbveih

Are you asking who is the big in "numbers owned or big in reputatation. Are you maybe asking biggest in numbers or reputation.
Maybe who has the best cattle of these breeds regardless of P R.

Both. Who is big in numbers as well as reputation, or one of the other. How about who has good polled or horned Herefords. Ive had great answers so far. And to everyone who posted them I appreciate the replys. Keep on sending them about all the breeds, but please try to get along, Ive seen so many good posts on here get ruined because peoples different opinions, then it becomes a feudal war between everyone and it takes on a whole differnet topic.

Ok my answers are based on who has improved their breed.

I'm not a breeder of any of the ones you asked about, but I do know of a couple of breeders that are known in the Charolais world for tops in the breed genetics. Both are in Montana. DeBrucker Charolais and Eaton Charolais

For Herefords, most all Hereford breeders have heard the genetic name of "Domino". A major line one breeder being Holden Herefords conjoined with Cooper Herefords both of Montana.

It stands for Public Relations
Also I was wondering if anyone had ever been to RA Brown ranches my cousin went up there with Texas A and M and said it was like a big feedlot the way they got there females to breed, he said any cow could breed in that situation

DEREK":7q1jeypn said:
It stands for Public Relations
Also I was wondering if anyone had ever been to RA Brown ranches my cousin went up there with Texas A and M and said it was like a big feedlot the way they got there females to breed, he said any cow could breed in that situation

I agree with lots of the comments presented here that seedstock cattle should be raised under the same conditions as commercial cattle. I have been to RA Brown Ranch before and know quite a bit about them. RA Brown Ranch built a new Bull Development Center 3 years ago where all sale bulls are developed from June to Oct. It is a pasture feedlot, where each pen has a pasture connected to it that is 1/2 mile long with the only shade being at the far end, away from feed and water. Cattle have to walk across a valley and up a big rocky hill to get to shade. It forces cattle to work; it keeps them in great shape and weeds out cattle that aren't sound.

That same facility is used to breed all RA Brown Ranch females in April & May. Cows are in the pasture 357 days out of the year with the other 8 days they are in that pasture/feedlot being synchronized with CIDRs and bred once AI then returned to pasture where a follow-up bull is put with them 2 weeks later. The heifers are in the Development Center for 30-45 days being bred AI before being put with follow-up bulls in the pasture. The ration fed is a high roughage ration of Wheat Silage(no grain in it, unlike most corn silage), cotton burrs, CSM, & minimal amounts of grain.

All weaned calves are put on the high roughage ration as well until wheat grazing is available where all bull and heifer calves are performance tested on forage. Y'all are right. Cattle should be developed on forage with the natural resources available. RA Brown Ranch does just that. You should come and visit sometime. It would be a pleasure to show you around the place where I have lived for most of the last 35 years.

We are a family business that makes our living in the cattle business. We are a "Profit Seeking Producer" who love the lifestyle but have to be profitable to survive. It is challenging to compete with "Pleasure Seeking Producers" who love the lifestyle but don't have to make a profit and some even prefer to not make a profit for tax purposes. To me the biggest disparity among cattle producers is not their size, but rather their primary focus. Is the focus Profit for them & their customers...or is it Pleasure - in it for the lifestyle and a by-product of land ownership?

Please understand...I love the lifestyle and I appreciate all of our customers regardless of their focus. Some really good things about "Pleasure Seeking Producers" are that they love the business, they care for the cattle & the land, and they bring increased cash flow into the beef business. The reality that I see is that there are really good producers of all sizes and both focuses. There are poor ones in each as well. A person has to look deep into a program to see if they are a true "Master Breeder" of superior cattle.

By the way…how do you define "Master Breeder" of superior cattle?

Hello Donnell,
Welcome to the boards. Take no offence they all mean well.
You sure had a nice Red Angus cow calf pair that won Fort Worth in 2003. How long did you say she had been out of the pasture. I don't remember many professional fitters there. Wasn't she nearly slick? Perfect udder as I remember and a nice functional size little cow. I just wanted to take a minuite to welcome you and ask that you would over look some that don't know alot but are trying to learn. Stay and teach them.

ollie":26y1jx8s said:
.... I just wanted to take a minuite to welcome you and ask that you would over look some that don't know alot but are trying to learn. Stay and teach them.

Agree totally! Welcome!

Welcome to the board Donnell. It 's good to have another real cattleman on here that most can learn from, if you share just some of your knowledge of the cattle industry.

ollie":v27wmrs2 said:
Hello Donnell,
Welcome to the boards. Take no offence they all mean well.
You sure had a nice Red Angus cow calf pair that won Fort Worth in 2003. How long did you say she had been out of the pasture. I don't remember many professional fitters there. Wasn't she nearly slick? Perfect udder as I remember and a nice functional size little cow. I just wanted to take a minuite to welcome you and ask that you would over look some that don't know alot but are trying to learn. Stay and teach them.

Thanks for the welcome and no offence taken. I saw it as an excellent opportunity to share with the group what we so passionately believe. We love the cattle business and are always trying to learn new and improved ways to increase the profitability and sustainability of our commercial customers in the beef business.

Good memory on the cow/calf pair. She was 24 months old and we took her out of the pasture 40 days prior to the show, but waited to halter brake her until after she calved which was 3 weeks prior to the show. It was the first animal I had shown in 17 years. No professional fitters...just us cowboys. That bull calf she had at side is the leadoff Red Angus bull in our sale in 2 weeks. Thanks for sharing this great example of the type of cattle we are strying to raise that do it all on the natural resources we have been blessed with the opportunity to care for.

Thanks,
DB

rgv4":220t3gbf said:
First of all, the question was about well-known breeders.

rvg4
I think you missed it again.
The original question was

CopeMan":220t3gbf said:
But who is big in the Hereford , Charolais , Simmental and Gelbvieh?

la4angus":2z0ovm1w said:
rgv4":2z0ovm1w said:

rvg4

CopeMan":2z0ovm1w said:

If they aren't well known then they are not big in the business. Nobody would have their cattle. No one would know anything about them.

Last time I checked Knezek was big in Simmentals and Deshazer was big in Hereford's.

Your point?

I personally was asleep this morning at 1:25 a.m., not pulling up topics from a month ago.

rgv4":11c4medn said:
Your point?

I personally was asleep this morning at 1:25 a.m., not pulling up topics from a month ago.

Hmmm
Testy this morning.
Posts from a month are no longer relevant today? Interesting.
Your sleep habits were never questioned.

Apparently your checker needs checking as far as Herefords go,Deshazer sends a pretty flyer. The way you promote them I beginning to wonder if their kin, or you work for them. Just because you haven't seen a glossy flyer promoting doesn't make you a bigboy. I don't know what breed you run and don't care I assume you are very knowledgeable about the breed and showring. When it comes to herefords the whistle is still blowing but the train has already left the station.

rgv4":hc7zhkm5 said:
If they aren't well known then they are not big in the business. Nobody would have their cattle.
What does this mean, exactly? Does a breeder really have to be "well known" to rgv4 to raise quality cattle? Does a breeder have to meet rgv4's criteria for "big in the business" to raise quality cattle? Are you saying that nobody should buy cattle from smaller breeders?

Guess I've broken the rules again. Typical of me, I suppose. Buying bulls from smaller breeders was a mistake. Have always been happy with them until now. Thanks for the tip, rgv4.

Texan":1pycr0xb said:
rgv4":1pycr0xb said:
If they aren't well known then they are not big in the business. Nobody would have their cattle.
What does this mean, exactly? Does a breeder really have to be "well known" to rgv4 to raise quality cattle? Does a breeder have to meet rgv4's criteria for "big in the business" to raise quality cattle? Are you saying that nobody should buy cattle from smaller breeders?

Guess I've broken the rules again. Typical of me, I suppose. Buying bulls from smaller breeders was a mistake. Have always been happy with them until now. Thanks for the tip, rgv4.

Thank Goodness evreyone is not impressed with shinny flyers Texan.
We are small breeders and have a great business selling bulls and replacement heifers. I have never seen those pretty pictures work in the pasture, Thanks for Cattlemen like yourself that are looking for quality working cattle.

Texan":3rxeuoi2 said:
rgv4":3rxeuoi2 said:

I bought some cattle from a small breeder one time that wasn't big in the business. I didn't know at the time that I wouldn't have his cattle. They sure raised some good calves though. Give $500.00 for each hfr. and havn't sold a yrlg.bull for less than $2000.00 yet. The last 2 were hfrs and they are keepers so they didn't get sold. This was before the cattle prices sky-rocketed. If I coulda had rgv4 as a consultant maybe I could have some of those $3000.00 cattle from a big name breeder and helped him pay for some of his glossy full page ads, and be able to sell their yrlg. bulls for $1500.00. I know some people that did this. Friend of mine buys $2000.00 hfrs that everyone wants from big name highly promoted multipliers and is yet to sell anything for over $350.00. All their calves been sold at the sale barn.
I sure glad that I didn't know that I wouldn't have these cattle from an unknown breeder.
Guess that's where I coulda used a good consultant so I wouldnta bought them money makers.

Perish the thought, but maybe after Bill Clinton explains the meaning of "is" he can give us the meaning of "big in". :lol: It appears to mean different things to different folks on this board, hence the mild acrimony. Or perhaps, since it was his question originally, Copeman can narrow it down: big in terms of owning actual numbers of cattle of the breed? or of registered cattle in the breed? or in terms of overall reputation? or in advertising & promotion? or reputation amoung fellow breeders of the same breed? or big in national or regional show results? or whatever else somebody thinks is noteworthy? :?:

rgv4":2lu4oyv9 said:
la4angus":2lu4oyv9 said:
rgv4":2lu4oyv9 said:

rvg4

CopeMan":2lu4oyv9 said:

Surely rvg4 you aren't intending to say what you wrote. Don't you think I would rather have a good calf from a small breeder than a lesser quality calf from a known or larger breeder. Good ones are good ones. You may not be able to tell the difference from farm to farm but some can.

ollie":15fw0n09 said:
Surely rvg4 you aren't intending to say what you wrote. Don't you think I would rather have a good calf from a small breeder than a lesser quality calf from a known or larger breeder. Good ones are good ones. You may not be able to tell the difference from farm to farm but some can.

Ollie
those calves from the small breeder outfits don't know nuttin about reading, just the ones from the big PR outfits know how to read, then lots of them fail the test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts