Breeders

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopeMan

Reaction score
I know that there are alot of big major breeders out there in every breed like : Gardner is is to Angus, and Leachman is to Red and Black Angus, JD. Hudgins is to Brahman, Express and Wulf & Sons is Limousin, and Camp Cooley is to Brangus, Lasater is to Beefmaster, King Ranch is to Gerts. But who is big in the Hereford , Charolais , Simmental and Gelbvieh?

Pinnegar is real big in Gelbvieh. But so is Knoll Crest Farms, them and Feltons are big in Herefords.

dun

Star Lake Cattle Co. of Skiatook, OK is about as well-known and wins the big shows about as much as anyone. Triple L, Tennessee, BB Cattle Co. in Washington, Rausch, SD have the #1 dams of distinction herd, Ochs Bros. of Colorado, now bought out by Harper Cattle Co. of Texas and NM had the most famous U.S. herd of Canadian Herefords that I know of. Remitall is big-time. Oxley were famous, Largent & Sons, Kaycee, Wyoming....there are many. These are all Hereford breeders.

greenwillowherefords":1v5fr4f1 said:
Star Lake Cattle Co. of Skiatook, OK is about as well-known and wins the big shows about as much as anyone. Triple L, Tennessee, BB Cattle Co. in Washington, Rausch, SD have the #1 dams of distinction herd, Ochs Bros. of Colorado, now bought out by Harper Cattle Co. of Texas and NM had the most famous U.S. herd of Canadian Herefords that I know of. Remitall is big-time. Oxley were famous, Largent & Sons, Kaycee, Wyoming....there are many. These are all Hereford breeders.

Not trying to start a ruckus having money to PR cattle does not make them one of the BigBoys or the best cattle. I have never seen any beat the Circle C Herefords one of the original breeders of polled Herefords.
As far as Remitall I wouldn't allow one in my pasture or HVH out of Ok.

Campground Cattle":1ly96bcr said:
greenwillowherefords":1ly96bcr said:

Not trying to start a ruckus having money to PR cattle does not make them one of the BigBoys or the best cattle. I have never seen any beat the Circle C Herefords one of the original breeders of polled Herefords.
As far as Remitall I wouldn't allow one in my pasture or HVH out of Ok.
I was just trying to answer his question as to who was more well-known. Those are not all my favorites either. I think of that list, Largent, BB, and Rausch are very good, as are Ochs.

I realize those were all horned breeders, in the last post. I like what I've seen of Journagans of MO, Knoll Crest Farm, and many others. There is my local favorite, Flying G Ranch, the oldest continuous breeder of polled Herefords in OK as I understand it, but they only run around 40 head anymore. I like Triple L as well.

There are several well know Gelbvieh breeders. TJB Gelbvieh in Georgia, Bear Tooth in Montana to name a couple. As far as the others Lehman Charolais in Texas, I know there are severl other breeders but I'll have to get back with you on them.

Thanks a million guys, great info. Who is big in lets say the Black and Red Simmentals. I know someone metioned Buzzard Hollow but they are the Fullblood Simmies(Fleckveihs). I know RA Brown has them but who else?

Knezek Simmentals in Yoakum, Texas have really good cattle and they are really nice people.

The best Hereford rancher in Texas is DeShazer Cattle Co. in Hearne.

rgv4":3h7fzinu said:
Knezek Simmentals in Yoakum, Texas have really good cattle and they are really nice people.

I have to disagree with you on Deshazer there are about PR and being showy. DeShazer has some good lookin cattle .I have been running Herefords for years They wouldn't make a pimple on the butt of the real Hereford Cattlemen in the state. He couldn't touch Jimmy Farrington, or the Clarks . These are the cattlemen that made Polled Herefords what they are. Clarks were running polled in the early 1900's. If you ever want to see what real Herefords look like, that perform in real ranch conditions, I will arrange you a tour.

Buzzard Hollow is a big Fleckvieh Simmental breeder, and has mostly been doing the South African bloodlines the past few years.

7P Ranch is a big Simmental breeder.. reds and blacks, Risinger was one of the biggest in the state, but they dispersed last year. Westfall Brothers in Missouri is a big breeder.. Christensons in the Dakotas is also big. I don't know of any that are color specific.

RA Brown is a big rancher, but he has four or five other breeds and does a lot of cross breeding. Not really known for Simmentals

CopeMan":350jfe38 said:
Thanks a million guys, great info. Who is big in lets say the Black and Red Simmentals. I know someone metioned Buzzard Hollow but they are the Fullblood Simmies(Fleckveihs). I know RA Brown has them but who else?
Ankony Land and Cattle I think from Georgia are Red Simmental breeders. They just got out of a few short years in the Herefords as well, sold out to Star Lake. I think they are continuing a Hereford-Simm cross-breeding program as well.

Campground Cattle":1niqowvw said:
rgv4":1niqowvw said:

I have to disagree with you on Deshazer there are about PR and being showy. DeShazer has some good lookin cattle .I have been running Herefords for years They wouldn't make a pimple on the butt of the real Hereford Cattlemen in the state. He couldn't touch Jimmy Farrington, or the Clarks . These are the cattlemen that made Polled Herefords what they are. Clarks were running polled in the early 1900's. If you ever want to see what real Herefords look like, that perform in real ranch conditions, I will arrange you a tour.

Im not being ignorant, but what does PR mean?

Don't need a tour. Don't have any Herefords on our place and don't want any.

Was just putting my opinion out there.

rgv4":252wwzq6 said:

Maybe a tour would do you some good before you start spouting off who the best Hereford Breeders in Texas are, instead of getting all your knowledge from the PR.

la4angus":2ozvhko9 said:
rgv4":2ozvhko9 said:

Maybe a tour would do you some good before you start spouting off who the best Hereford Breeders in Texas are, instead of getting all your knowledge from the PR.

Thanks La4 you just proved my point about these boys that get in the cattle biz with big money. They are all about PR and Tax write-offs. If you want to find kick butt cattle no matter the breed go to the source. The true Rancher on this board and in this country. Go to a guy that makes his living only on cattle and the cattle have to work for theirs in true ranch conditions. There is where you find the best cattle and cattlemen. Its easy to be a cattleman and supplement the ups and downs with an outside income. I could easily supplement mine I chose not to, they have to support theirself.

Campground Cattle":no9yvev8 said:
la4angus":no9yvev8 said:
rgv4":no9yvev8 said:

Thanks La4 you just proved my point about these boys that get in the cattle biz with big money. They are all about PR and Tax write-offs. If you want to find kick butt cattle no matter the breed go to the source. The true Rancher on this board and in this country. Go to a guy that makes his living only on cattle and the cattle have to work for theirs in true ranch conditions. There is where you find the best cattle and cattlemen. Its easy to be a cattleman and supplement the ups and downs with an outside income. I could easily supplement mine I chose not to, they have to support theirself.

First of all, the question was about well-known breeders.

Second of all, my family has been in the cattle business since the 1920's and I have all of my life. This ranch is my job. Each generation has increased the size of it by buying more land. We run commercial cattle as well as Registered Cattle.

Don't put someone down when you know nothing about me or because we have money. We have made the majority of our money off the cattle.
Good business practices.

rgv4":20ltg6c1 said:
Campground Cattle":20ltg6c1 said:
la4angus":20ltg6c1 said:
rgv4":20ltg6c1 said:

First of all, the question was about well-known breeders.

Second of all, my family has been in the cattle business since the 1920's and I have all of my life. This ranch is my job. Each generation has increased the size of it by buying more land. We run commercial cattle as well as Registered Cattle.

Don't put someone down when you know nothing about me or because we have money. We have made the majority of our money off the cattle.
Good business practices.

But who is big in the Hereford , Charolais , Simmental and Gelbvieh?.

Hats off to you not putting you down sounds like you are one of the true cattlemen on the board . If you have survived in the cattle biz only your are a true businessman. Deshazer is not IMHO what the true cattleman are breeder of working cattle is about. Here is where we got crossed up the question was who were the big breeders in the biz. Not the ones sending out the most magizines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts