Breeders Responsibility?

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
I bought and took delivery on 11-1-10 a heifer that was born 1-31-10. In the last couple of weeks it looked like this heifer was pregnant and I found her today trying to calve. It was apparent that the calf was dead with only the tongue and hooves showing. This would put the heifer being bred around 8-25-10 at 7 months of age (if my math is correct).

Unfortunately, the calf was too large and they could not get the hips to pass even after cutting the calf in half. After an hour or so of trying to get it out the vet recommend she be put down because with the cutting required to cut the rest out there would damage to the uterus and more than likely never breed again. We also discussed that she would probably not stand again, so I followed his recommendation.

The calf was full term according to what I saw and the vet said. Since I've never been in this situation I need to know what responsibility the breeder has to me as a customer. if any?

He may have had no idea she was bred but if he did and didn't tell you I'd scratch him off my list of "reputable" cattlemen.

a just plain decent guy, at a minimum, would listen to your story and if he can offer some remedy...

Well, I went ahead and called him and the first thing he did was offer me my money back with apologies. I asked about a comparable replacement but all he has are to be weaned next month. That sets me back another 8 months with limited space to keep young heifers away from my bull. Should he be offering anything more than he already has?

Was it registered? If not did he claim she was open? He should at least give you pick of a replacement at the least if not he not much of a cattleman.

Yes, she was registered and was sold as open as she was just weaned when I bought her. I could get another heifer but not one comparable.

Sometimes life just stinks.
I dont see a winner here, you loose time and the breeder money.

But I have more time than money so take the cash and call him a good guy. Alot of people wouldnt do that and all you would have is a story. Heck if your gonna own cattle your gonna have problems. Thats part of it.

Take the money and thank the man for being honest.

Ya know, I'm really trying to be open minded about this and look at both sides. On my side I'm thinking she coulda just died from something and I'd be out everything. But then I think it was his mistake that she was bred so early and why should I be out the money for feed, shots, etc…?

Yeah, he coulda been a bunghole and said that it was my problem and hung the phone up, and I do appreciate the fact that he has made the offer. I just didn't know what the right thing for him to do in this situation. After all, it might be me on his side one day and I need to know what I should do.

slick4591":2j3p6zyx said:
Well, I went ahead and called him and the first thing he did was offer me my money back with apologies. I asked about a comparable replacement but all he has are to be weaned next month. That sets me back another 8 months with limited space to keep young heifers away from my bull. Should he be offering anything more than he already has?

Sounds like a really nice and reputable person, you couldn't ask for more than that. You could be in my shoes and have two disasters with heifers from a registered angus breeder I dealt with, I took the full hit on both and the sorry breeder didn't offer to compensate me for anything.

RD-Sam":3p7k3p1b said:
Sounds like a really nice and reputable person, you couldn't ask for more than that. You could be in my shoes and have two disasters with heifers from a registered angus breeder I dealt with, I took the full hit on both and the sorry breeder didn't offer to compensate me for anything.

Sorry for your hit! I am thankful he is a standup guy. Guess my emotions will level off and I'll make my mind up on the money or animal.

You lost a heifer 16 months old. He has soon to be weaned heifers that are likely half the value. Accept to get one of those, this way you and he split the loss in half, that makes it easier to bear for both of you. :2cents:

Yeah I think he has been pretty decent about it all. I think you should just salvage what you can from a bad situation. If you take another heifer get it checked when you get it home, or 6 weeks later.
Ken

slick4591":se81hlwi said:
RD-Sam":se81hlwi said:

Sorry for your hit! I am thankful he is a standup guy. Guess my emotions will level off and I'll make my mind up on the money or animal.

The fella is a standup guy. Take your pick and be thankful for his offer. He coulda stiffed you like a very "reputable" GV breeder is most likely going to do to me.

One thing for sure you should learn from this is NEVER assume that a weaned heifer is actually open. Give em all a shot of Lute and sleep at night.

slick4591":jmupi97z said:
RD-Sam":jmupi97z said:

Sounds like you picked out the best of the bunch....and he's offering you your money back. That means he also lost the best of the bunch. Sounds like a good man to me. Accept the money then if you want, turn right around and buy your 2nd pick hopefully a bit cheaper.

Sorry to hear about that.

I have had that to happen a few times.

We all try to select for good fertility in our females and I guess this is the one draw back.

TexasBred":1tb9ujch said:
Sounds like you picked out the best of the bunch....and he's offering you your money back. That means he also lost the best of the bunch. Sounds like a good man to me. Accept the money then if you want, turn right around and buy your 2nd pick hopefully a bit cheaper.

Actually, I bought five from him that day and from the pictures he sent me the best wasn't in the pen to pick, so I guess she was my second pick. He's supposed to send me pictures of what he has this year so I can decide on an animal or the money. I guess that's fair enough.

BRAFORDMAN":1tb9ujch said:
Sorry to hear about that.

I have had that to happen a few times.

We all try to select for good fertility in our females and I guess this is the one draw back.

Thanks, I will be looking for her sister for sure!

He is doing all he can. I would thank him and definitely do business with him in the future.

Isomade":2mt08bgq said:
He is doing all he can. I would thank him and definitely do business with him in the future.

I agree. As others have said, sometimes things just happen. It's not always somebody's fault.

As one of my friends just put it, "He is the difference between a cattleman and a true cattleman." Thanks for everyone's opinions. My emotions are not running full throttle today so I'm thinking a little better.