Breeder or Propagater?

Help Support CattleToday:

cedar

Reaction score
I would like to ask this question of the other seed stock producers here...how many of you propagate other breeder's genetics or who is utilizing the genetics of your own breeding?
And if you don't use your own, why not? Are you still in the process of fine-tuning, and if so, how many years have you been in this process? I'll answer my own question, by saying; that after 15 years of selecting other producers genetics and incorporating them into our program through AI we are confident and therefore using our own bulls.

After 35 years of 100% AI, I guess you can say I propagate others' genetics. If that's what you call it.
I now have a bull we raised & use on our herd, but would NEVER consider closing our herd to AI. (actually I AI to our own bull).

I guess I would have to say that we propogate other folk's breeding programs because we use bulls that we have purchased from other breeders. We have four bulls that we have purchased from other breeders and I guess we have five more that we have raised from calves that were purchased with their mothers or that their mothers were carrying when purchased. We certainly don't need any more bulls, some of these are for sale but I won't say that I won't ever buy another bull because I'm always on the look out for other genetics to improve our herd.

Just to clarify, I'm not say no to AI-ing, but just was asking if you have faith in your own genetics, that you use your own bulls along with AI. As for our own program, we use both AI and our own herd bulls.

Springers Farms

Do only use only bulls that you have bred? Or do you use semen or bulls from other breeders also?

Ever heard of the great bull "Bret's 3R Top Class Angus Maker".
I thought not. :) We're still bringing in the genes.

cedar":92jifemh said:
Just to clarify, I'm not say no to AI-ing, but just was asking if you have faith in your own genetics, that you use your own bulls along with AI. As for our own program, we use both AI and our own herd bulls.
The past two years we have AI'd 1/3 to 1/2 of our cows/heifers to our own bull. Will be doing the same this year. But, I say our bull, he was a PREGNANCY that we purchased, so his dam & sire are not from our herd. - propagating other's program :D

cedar":1smkg08w said:
I would like to ask this question of the other seed stock producers here...how many of you propagate other breeder's genetics or who is utilizing the genetics of your own breeding?
And if you don't use your own, why not? Are you still in the process of fine-tuning, and if so, how many years have you been in this process? I'll answer my own question, by saying; that after 15 years of selecting other producers genetics and incorporating them into our program through AI we are confident and therefore using our own bulls.

Propagator. We're raising bulls for commercial cattlemen. In looking at the AI catalogs, I think we're raising bulls as good as many of the AI bulls. But I can select individual bulls to use on individual cows and get a better animal than using one bull on my herd.

And half the animals born on this place will be heifers. AI sired heifers sell better than pasture bred heifers.

Are you cutting out all AI? Good luck with your program. Let us know how it works out.

Latest posts