Breedds of pigs. Difference of flavor?

Help Support CattleToday:

hilly11

Reaction score
Last year we got a couple of Chester White feeder pigs and had them slaughtered/packaged for our own pork - yum! They were delicious.

Our pig supplier no longer raises hogs. I am looking for a new supplier but am having trouble finding one that has this particular breed. Do you notice a difference in flavor in pigs such as cross-bred? Is there a type I should avoid?

A lot of the flavor comes from how and what you feed them. The worst temperament, but best flavored pigs I've eaten were Durocs.

Slicks dead on. It's not the breed it's the feed. Now some breeds are longer or heavier muscled or can put on more fat but flavor is all about the feed

I am not trying to bash the swine business but, confinement hogs 20 years ago tasted just like the inside of the barn smelled. Over the last 20 years the confinement barns have come along way in providing fresh air in the winter while maintaining more of the heat. It is getting better but I still perfer pork from open air dirt lots.

You say the flavor depends on the feed...what are your reccomendations for the best flavor pork (in your opinion)?

I get a blend of crushed corn, wheat, and a bunch if other stuff. But the main idea is corn. I do wonder what joes pnut pigs taste like.
I'm doing one now that is nothing but slops since I don't need to push it to finish. Just butchered 2 so I don't want to get too far ahead if our consumption. Although I might change my mind. Seems there is so much that can be done with pork that I'm learning.

Latest posts