Breed

Help Support CattleToday:

In my limited experience I have formulated this opinion.
If you have enough land and money to raise potloads of feeders or are planning on taking what you can get at the sale barn, keep'em black or bwf.

If you are planning on selling local freezer beef, pick out something you like and roll with them, trying to improve them as you can.

You'd be surprised at the number of different breeds and crosses that are run in your region successfully on smaller scale farms off of the main roads.

I think you will see more Angus and Hereford just about anywhere in the U S...???
:2cents:

Unless you're going to get seriously in the seedstock business I would just start with some solid middle aged commercial cows. Red with no spots would be my choice so I could keep the calves red or make them black as I wished. That way I wouldn;t get dinged at the sale barn if I had to sell calves that way.

Red mottle faced Gert/ Hereford cows with a Charolais bull will give you some heavy weight yellow and yellow mottle calves at weaning time. The steers will ring the bell at the sell, do great as feeders and the heifers make great replacements too.

Go to the salebarn and watch the buyers and see which ones are ringing the bell and ask them what they are looking for. Knowing what the buyer wants is kindof important. Different markets in different areas mean different things.

Latest posts