breed?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Looking for a breed that is almost immune to pinkeye while being very fertile and having a small underline. Presently have Beefmasters, but fertility is low. Any ideas????

cowman":3stye21p said:
Looking for a breed that is almost immune to pinkeye while being very fertile and having a small underline. Presently have Beefmasters, but fertility is low. Any ideas????

Angus x Saler

You can work on the fertility problem within the beefmaster breed.
Or you can cross them with angus to improve fertility and get rid of some of the sheath. Another option is brangusxangus. brangus and beefmaster both cross well with pretty much anything.

Thanks for the replies. Are Salers not prone to pinkeye?? I DO like the dark red color! Interested in input on the eye probs.

I,ve raised Red Angus , Salers and composites. Salers are very resistant to eye cancers. Pinkeye is a bacteria and therefore contagious to all cattle.Runny eyes are more prone to get pinkeye.On white faced cattle with no pigment the eye is the darkest spot on the face and the sun is a source of irritation. Weeds and flies are another. Salers are naturally very healthy cattle and excellent foragers. They milk well and are among the best marbeling exotics.Disposition used to be a problem but not still.
F1 salers are the very best cattle that I,ve been associated with.I just ultrasound 30 of my replacement heifers. They are fed 10# of alfalfa/ground corn ears. They are gaining a little over 2 lb. per day they averaged rea/cwt 1.27 imf 3.67 bf .24 weighed 777#. These arent world records but they are sound numbers in any breed.

cowman":iojvpz02 said:
Use ANGUS, either Black or Red. No pinkeye problems, highly fertile, clean sheath, good milkers, excellent maternal traits, and absolutely the Highest Quality Carcass around. They are the top selling calves at just about any auction or private market that you consign them to.

Anonymous":qcs5adsv said:
cowman":qcs5adsv said:
Use ANGUS, either Black or Red. No pinkeye problems, highly fertile, clean sheath, good milkers, excellent maternal traits, and absolutely the Highest Quality Carcass around. They are the top selling calves at just about any auction or private market that you consign them to.

This was my reply. I forgot to sign in.

Lloyd Aylsworth

Simbrah, if don't want a composite and like the dark colors go with Tarentaise if you like light colors go with Romagnolas

cowman":1mr9jjq6 said:

I agree with Hill Creek. But the only thing is make sure your hereford is fullblooded, because some that have red spots on their eyes aren't full they are mixed.
Ellie May

Ellie May":3adg4iee said:
I agree with Hill Creek. But the only thing is make sure your hereford is fullblooded, because some that have red spots on their eyes aren't full they are mixed.
Ellie May

By that point there is enough hereford in them to get the job done

Latest posts