Breed what you love

Help Support CattleToday:

smoothmule

Reaction score
My area isn't known for Nos Indicutype cattle but I absolutely love them. I love the temperament, the "look", the way they cross so well with my other favorite breeds. There wasn't much interest here (SW Missouri) the first few years but I happily continued to breed toward my goals and in the past year, interest exploded. My crossbred calves have finally caught the attention of local cattle breeders and I've gotten more requests than I have calves this year.
These calves will cross great and produce very marketable calves in the future too ☺️

Not only my crossbred calves but my Gyr are drawing attention to those wanting to breed their own.

Attachments

• 7D9B163B-BBF0-4CD9-B87D-30D30D3AA2CC.jpeg
    7D9B163B-BBF0-4CD9-B87D-30D30D3AA2CC.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 34DA8D39-2AE0-4C84-8201-3D8ABDAE38AE.jpeg
    34DA8D39-2AE0-4C84-8201-3D8ABDAE38AE.jpeg
    71.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 348225C3-79D3-4220-BBD2-48687E84EE0B.jpeg
    348225C3-79D3-4220-BBD2-48687E84EE0B.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 19
  • C99ECDEF-6957-4502-95CF-068B0885CDE1.jpeg
    C99ECDEF-6957-4502-95CF-068B0885CDE1.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 20
Love the look of a brahman, always have. I'm thinking of picking up a few brahman heifers to put in with my longhorns on the new place I bought that hasn't been grazed in 25 years or brush hogged in 8. The longhorns and brahman should do well on it to help clean it up.

It's a good thing when the breed you like is a well received breed by your areas markets. If it's not then makes it more difficult by putting in the same amount of work and expense then getting less in return, unless you have pretty reliable options for marketing. We like Herefords, but they get docked just because. So then if we want to utilize them for commercial cattle then it's better in a cross breeding plan.

Lots of folks love that kind @DCA farm
Nothing wrong with that! They are pretty animals.
Some of them critters bring big bucks too in certain circles.

I prefer mutts without long horns tho. Lol
I was always against horns myself told myself I wouldn't own a cow with them I was at a sale one day and I bought a longhorn short bred cow for $300 and somehow ended up with a pasture full of them. I am pleased at the 1/2 beef calves they are raising I'm running them all with roping bull this go around till I can find a decent beef bull to run with them

I started with Tuli in the 70's as I lived near the research station where the breed was developed. My commercial herd was mostly low maintenance Nguni and Tswana types, which with the severe climatic and parasite challenges. During the civil war I was away for half the year on deployment, so the herd had to take care of itself to a large degree. The herds we established from my stud in South Africa and Namibia from 1978, both thrived in their very different environments, so when I moved to the USA, I tracked down some of the original imports to start my new herd there (North Carolina) which did well for us until we had to leave after 5 1/2 years. A typical 15 year old Tuli cow in NC, pregnant for the 14th time -IMG_0345.jpg

I started with Tuli in the 70's as I lived near the research station where the breed was developed. My commercial herd was mostly low maintenance Nguni and Tswana types, which with the severe climatic and parasite challenges. During the civil war I was away for half the year on deployment, so the herd had to take care of itself to a large degree. The herds we established from my stud in South Africa and Namibia from 1978, both thrived in their very different environments, so when I moved to the USA, I tracked down some of the original imports to start my new herd there (North Carolina) which did well for us until we had to leave after 5 1/2 years. A typical 15 year old Tuli cow in NC, pregnant for the 14th time -View attachment 535
Are there any plans to introducing drakensberger cattle to United States soon?

I'm on record for having an affinity for Red Spotted, (3/4 Red Angus & 1/4 Corriente) or (7/8 Red Angus 1/8 Corriente)
It is a slow process probably both in time and economics in a 'black hided market' People who wear watches or hunt with 10
round magazines and think a dollar bill is real money would be better served to play with their cell phones.

Love the look of a brahman, always have. I'm thinking of picking up a few brahman heifers to put in with my longhorns on the new place I bought that hasn't been grazed in 25 years or brush hogged in 8. The longhorns and brahman should do well on it to help clean it up.
If you plan on crossing them, Longhorn X Brahman make excellent momma cows. Both breeds are insect and heat tolerant, and produce ample milk. They will calve easy, and raise some big calves. Your LH X Br steers will take a beating at the sale barn, though. If you know of a stock contractor close to you, you might leave them as bulls, and they'd bring a lot more. Keep up with what cow and what bulls you used, in case one of them makes a good bucking bull. If you keep the LH X Br heifers for replacements, breed them to an Angus, and you will get some good black, polled steers to sell. For the 2nd and subsequent calves, breed to a Chi-Angus bull. And, those 1/2 Angus or Chi-angus, 1/4Br and 1/4 LH heifers, will make even better momma cows, or sell very well as replacement heifers.

If you plan on crossing them, Longhorn X Brahman make excellent momma cows. Both breeds are insect and heat tolerant, and produce ample milk. They will calve easy, and raise some big calves. Your LH X Br steers will take a beating at the sale barn, though. If you know of a stock contractor close to you, you might leave them as bulls, and they'd bring a lot more. Keep up with what cow and what bulls you used, in case one of them makes a good bucking bull. If you keep the LH X Br heifers for replacements, breed them to an Angus, and you will get some good black, polled steers to sell. For the 2nd and subsequent calves, breed to a Chi-Angus bull. And, those 1/2 Angus or Chi-angus, 1/4Br and 1/4 LH heifers, will make even better momma cows, or sell very well as replacement heifers.
My longhorns were bred to a black baldy when I got them except one, some calves were spotted, some came out looking like black baldies motley faced. The one that wasn't bred got bred to my ultra black, her calf came out spotted. They are all bred back to the ultra black for spring calves. I was thinking of getting some Brahman heifers and saving f1 heifers out of them, then swapping to a charolais bull to knock spots off of longhorn calves as well as giving a little bigger boned calf. Not sure yet what I'll do. I've got a friend who has 2 Brahman bulls and is crossing them with beef cows and longhorns.

Latest posts